Pages

Sunday, February 9, 2014

Joy

At this moment, I am sitting in the rocking chair, cuddling a fussy, feverish baby boy, and I am thankful. I am reminded that he is no longer a baby but already getting close to 2. I am praying over him, hugging him and providing that constant, comforting love that only his mom can give him.

I have the most amazing little boy in my arms tonight and he needs me more than the dishes do or that mountain of laundry. It pains my heart because I'm not sure how many more times I will get to rock this big boy to sleep. I rest my head on his and breathe deep that heavenly smell. There is nothing like it. We are all wrapped up in his favorite three blankets, and he is unconsciously twirling the hair at his crown. His other hand is firmly holding mine. Every once in a while, he sucks his soother loudly and stretches. These moments are pure joy.

As I quietly go and lay him in his crib, he rouses enough to open his eyes and reach out his pointer finger, wanting me to touch his with mine. It's our way of saying "I love you".

This is motherhood. This is my life. This is joy. 

1 comment :