Pages

Friday, August 10, 2012

I'll be okay.

You know when you read someone's blog and it's all happy, all the time, and you ask yourself, "Is this for real?" Well, usually it's not. Usually there's more going on behind the scenes that we don't like to talk about. We like to appear happy and perfect and shiny.

So here's the "real"... I looked at Chris the other day and asked, "I wonder if this is what depression feels like?" I'm blue. I'm sad. I'm frustrated because I'm blue and sad for no reason. It doesn't have to do with my baby or my kids. I mean, really, look at these faces....
 
The kids are great. I love them with everything in me. I know I'm a great mom. I'm letting go of the mama guilt that tells me I shouldn't let my kids watch this much tv or we should be outside more or we should change out of our jammies everyday.

But yet, I'm just sad. I cry a lot. I'm 90% sure it's just hormones working their way out, but the 10% questions if it is something more. Don't worry - if it doesn't pass, I will talk to someone. I've got a great support system and I am okay, but I'm just sad.

I'm struggling because I am still infected from my c-section which in my head constantly reminds me that I didn't get the birth I wanted. I'm still sore and on my second set of antibiotics and not recovering as fast as I feel I should be. This is frustrating.

Despite eating healthy, I gained a lot of weight during my pregnancy and now I'm stuck in a body that I don't feel comfortable in. I realize it's only been a month and I did bring a healthy, amazing, wonderful human being into the world, but this is definitely a struggle.  
 I fight that small voice inside my head that whispers lies that I am unworthy, the voice that tells me I should be embarrassed and convinces me to stay home, rather than going out. Home is my safe place. I honestly would love to stay in the house and not leave for days. That same voice tells me that I'm not good enough to be someone's friend.
 But, I fight. I pray. I cry. I talk about it. Oy vey, I talk about it. But I'm not together right now. I'm a million little piece all held together with tape and glue and it doesn't take much for me to come apart. But I'm trying. By writing this, I'm acknowledging that life isn't perfect all the time and that's okay. I'm lucky to have a few friends check in daily and send me lovely texts and listen to me and understand me. I'm blessed to have a husband who cares and loves on me. We have been beyond blessed with meals as we've adjusted to life with a newborn. People are ridiculously kind.

And hopefully, soon, the clouds will break and that blue sky and sunshine will pour into my heart.

Until then, I will pour myself into my children and shower them with the love and kisses that they deserve. They make me better. They are my sunshine right now, when I look at myself and see the clouds. This is the real me, right now.

12 comments :

  1. Hang in there girl! If you think it's more than baby blues, get help. We are amazing woman but sometimes we need a little help to :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. your vulnerability will help heal others. being a woman, a wife, a mom is hard work. hang in there!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If there's anything I can do, let me know. And don't hesitate to talk to your doctor about this.

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. xo. You know what might help? Some Pepsi and cornstarch.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I saw you the other day and wanted to say a quick 'hi' but I feel like somewhere along the line we didn't start off on the right foot. From reading your blog posts I totally get you.. your thoughts and your feelings. I don't have the confidence to post mine, because I am so afraid of the judgement.

    Do you have cute kids and I think you are lovely, regardless of your size but I know how you feel. (I was too my goal weight once but gained it all back and have been uncomfortable in my own skin ever since). HUGS.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Forgive my sentence structure and spelling today.. yikes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. 2 Corinthians 12:9. loves to you my friend :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love that last pic! Sums up my days too! Hang in there! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think your pretty awesome! I also think you will find your way through this and continue to do great things! You have helped others find the confidence and the blue sky and sunshine in themselves so I know you can do the same for yourself!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm sorry you're struggling Amanda. But by you writing this you are taking a HUGE step in conquering things, and that takes guts! I'm proud of you!
    You are an awesome mom and I am SO glad that you wrote that little sentence "I know I'm a great mom" Many of us struggle with that and we are being fed lies by the enemy. I, too, let my kids watch more tv than they maybe should, I yell and do things that I shouldn't some days, but that's okay!
    You are beautiful and wonderful :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's good that you are able to admit to those feelings. If it does turn out to be more than the baby blues, or a worse case of the baby blues than you thought don't be afraid to get help and meds. And if you need someone to talk to who has been there I'm always here! *hugs*

    ReplyDelete