Pages

Sunday, September 25, 2011

One year.

One year ago, I decided to give Ideal Protein a try. I did it for them.

I was tired of having no energy and tired of being uncomfortable in my own skin. I didn't like hearing my doctor tell me that I was morbidly obese, at risk for heart disease, likely to develop diabetes, and that I probably shouldn't try getting pregnant again. I had no confidence, wanted to hide at home, and it was hurting my friendships and my marriage.  I wasn't happy.

Now, a year later, I'm doing things I only ever dreamed about. I'm learning to love myself, trust myself, and BE myself. I'm happier and healthier and my whole family benefits.
 In my clinic, I have a wall of "non-scale victories." These are little things that have changed since losing weight that have nothing to do with sizes or numbers on a scale. There are so many things that are hard to do when you are overweight.

Some of my personal non-scale victories are:
- wearing boots. They finally zip up! I have choices! I own 6 pairs. Hee hee
- shopping! I never knew it could be fun. I used to have to buy whatever fit.
- I'm not afraid to sit in lawn chairs. (Some of them only have a 200lb weight limit!)
- seeing my collarbones.
- two words - skinny. jeans.
- having confidence to join workout classes.
- finding out how strong I am, physically.
- running a half marathon!! (Okay, this one happens Oct. 8th, but it still counts!)
- buying two bathing suits because I loved them both!
- being able to crawl around after my kids.
- having my doctor stand up and applaud me.
- jumping on a trampoline (again, without fear that it's going to break)
- being able to get in and out of a car, comfortably.
- watching others around me take charge of their lives and make healthier choices.

It hasn't been easy - far from it. Actually, if the truth be told, losing weight was the easy part. Maintaining is always harder. But here, I am, happily maintaining, working hard to maintain, choosing with every day and every meal to maintain. Food still calls my name. I have good days and I have bad days, but all of the time, I have healthier, happier days. (Yes, that was super cheesy.)

Oh and it's been 365 days since my last taste of pop. Oh Diet Coke, I still miss you, but I will choose to avoid you always, mostly because I'm really stubborn. 

5 comments :

  1. amazing Amanda!!! Not much more that can be said!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it. I am blessed to know you, and I am so proud of you. You are such an encouragement to everyone who struggles with weight.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You look great! What an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am SOOO proud of you!

    Look at those before and afters - amazing!

    ReplyDelete