Pages

Sunday, September 4, 2011

Change

It's been almost a year since my life changed. September 25th last year I started IP. In so many ways, it was easy. In so many other ways, it was the hardest thing I've ever had to do. But this post is not about that.

I'm not the kind of person who declares on facebook every time I workout, but rest assured, I workout and I workout hard. I do bootcamps, Turbo Jam, a few Jillians every now and then and as I declared in my last post - I run. I think I finally think it's okay for me to say "I am a runner."

I've dreamed of running in a half/full marathon for about 8 years. I've trained before in university and got really close, but then caught bronchitis and cracked two ribs and was told to stop running.

I secretly told a friend a few months ago that I wanted to run at least the 10K. This wouldn't have been too hard because I was running a lot. My minimum run when I run is 3.5 miles and at the time, I could do 6. For me, it was more the commitment of actually sticking to it. Last summer, I could easily finish 6 miles, but I didn't sign up for any 10K races because I was so embarrassed in my own skin. This summer, no excuses. So this friend put together a schedule for me to follow and one of my runs was scheduled to be 7 miles.

But add a little determination and a sprinkle of stubborness and I wound up running 8. This was the farthest I had ever run and I did it without stopping to walk or anything. I was so happy and shocked and proud (hence the blogpost).

When I got home, my husband simply asked, "So are you doing the half now? It's only 5 more miles."


So I figured I'd give it a shot. I figured, "Why not?" I'm in the best shape of my life thanks to proper eating and hard work.

So yesterday, I set out with a goal. I was supposed to do 9 miles, but wanted to do 10. Ten miles - yikes.

It was AWESOME! I chose to run down the highway, through a couple small villages and then down country roads. I love the peacefulness of running on gravel with no one around.

As I looked down at my running watch and realized that I had run over 8 miles and that this was the farthest I had ever run, the song "Defying Gravity" came on my ipod.

Something has changed within me
Something is not the same
I'm through with playing by the rules
of someone else's game

Too late for second guessing
Too late to go back to sleep
It's time to trust my instincts
Close my eyes and leap

It's time to try
defying gravity
I think I'll try
defying gravity
Kiss me goodbye
I'm defying gravity
and you won't bring me down...

I'm through accepting limits
'cause someone says they're so
Some things I cannot change
But 'til I try I'll never know






I was now running with goosebumps and even a few tears. See? Good thing I run out in the country.

Something has changed within me. I am so strong now and in control. I am doing things and trying new things and have a confidence that I've only imagined.

So, it's official. October 8th, I'll be running the half marathon. I don't promise that I'll be running it fast or anything, but I will finish it. :)

Here's to defying gravity.

4 comments :

  1. Woot woot!! Way to go! You are going to kill the half marathon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAY!!! You are so awesome and so inspiring!! I wish you the absolute BEST as you run the race!

    ReplyDelete