Pages

Friday, June 11, 2010

Getting ready for the big one!

Amanda did not nurse her baby today.

:(

This is a sad weekend for me. I'm literally on the verge of tears constantly. I am so sad to go back to work on Monday. Yes, I realize it's only for 2 weeks and 3 days. I know this. But I also know that that's 2 weeks and 3 days that I'm away from my kids. My Chelsea, who throughout the day gives me hugs and kisses and tells me that I'm "the best mommy ever" and that she "missed me so long". My Gavin - my baby who turns one on Monday. One whole year. One. Where did the time go?? I feel like I've missed it. And I'm going to miss them so much on Monday.

Plus, I've been slowly weaning the boob man. I slowly got him down to morning and evening bedtime nursing, with sometimes missing the evening nursing. He's never had a bottle. We never offered formula and I was too lazy to pump, so little man has gotten very attached (pardon the pun). I nursed Chelsea for 15 months, until I got an ear infection and needed to go on stronger antibiotics. Plus, I needed to stop nursing in order for things to happen so we could have baby #2.

With Gavin, I feel like I'm weaning him too early. We don't do bottles or sippy cups of milk. He doesn't take it (Chelsea never did either). He doesn't have a favourite stuffy or blanket. He doesn't take a soother. I don't know how to comfort him without boob! He apparently gave the sitters a hard time going to bed tonight, which is unlike him.

I hate weaning. I can't cuddle him right now because he wants to nurse when I do. I'm uncomfortable and he's not happy. The reason we're weaning now is that in a month, Chris and I are going away for a few days by ourselves and we want to be sure that he's completely weaned and not missing it then. I know it's only for a few days, but not nursing my baby plus a weekend of celebrating his birthday, plus going back to work - it's too much! It's a huge reality check that he's growing up.

He's such a little man.
(and yes, we're still dealing with the rash on his chin, for my facebook friends. The flash in this picture minimizes how bad it is. It looks a lot worse in person. The doctor and the allergist both think it is something that he got into, rather than a reaction or allergy, but we are clueless as to what it was for sure. It's aggravated by the fact that he's teething and constantly drooling and so any ointment we put on, literally is washed away in minutes, and his chin is left wet and raw. I just want it healed already!)
So yeah, there's my post. I didn't mean for it to be all about nursing and weaning, so if it offended you... shush. I'm talking to you, anonymous commenter!

10 comments :

  1. Aww... that sucks. I knew that the end of nursing would be a hard time for you, but as you say, combine it with his birthday and having to go back to work... really tough. I'm sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you for nursing your babies so long - that's an amazing thing! I know how hard it is to let go of it. I nursed my son for almost a year.
    I hope that things go well for you and that he learns to be comforted by other things as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow, that is lot of things to have to deal with at once. *hugs* and it totally sucks to have to wean. It's not fair that they grow up so quickly! :(

    And I totally hear you on the going back to work. Any time away from your sweet babies is hard! Praying that things go wel for you and those couple of weeks go by quickly so you can be with your sweet babies again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well way to make me all teary!!! lol
    Having your babies grow up is hard sometimes :(
    My babies had bottles, soothers, pillows,one sucked his thumb and blankets...ha..so I can not relate to the boob part but I can relate to the big 1 year and all that comes with it. ;p
    The two weeks will fly by and you will be home again before you know it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The rash looks a lot like what Josiah had from 9 months to 1 year.. until I discovered that it was the blueberry baby food I was feeding him. The docs didn't believe me and it didn't show up on an allergy test but to this day he gets a rash on his chin when I feed him blueberries. {it took about 3 weeks to go away after I stopped feeding him those}
    I'm not saying it's blueberries for your guy but it could still be food related.. just test it, that's what I did.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I forgot to mention. The allergist in the city said that it could be a food sensitivity rather than an allergy.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That IS a lot of change all at once! Hugs. Caleb had bottles (has been off them since about 13 months) but has never taken a soother or blanket or any of that. He does suck his thumb but I think some kids just don't need those things as much as others.

    If you didnt want to wean all the way you could just pump 2x a day while you are gone. Just a thought if its something you are not ready to give up.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yikes, that's a lot to deal with! And I want you to know that I find the idea of a mother feeding her child and then having to change how she changes him Very Offensive.

    (ummm...not)

    Here's to the summer! It's just around the corner!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Amanda i hope your week is a good one!!
    I hope the next two and some weeks goes by really fast for you!!

    I know the feeling about where has the time gone....i'm always so torn i get sad that my kids are growing up so fast and yet i'm also happy for that too....lol

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dylan had a horrible rash on his face too and it was from teething. Once certain teeth popped out, he was fine. Love the cakes, btw! Makes our little fondant cake look a little sad.

    ReplyDelete