Pages

Sunday, September 24, 2017

Part Two - The Bearded Mom? Just kidding.

Okay, now where was I? Oh yes, bad parenting decisions and bearded dragons. In case you haven't read it, check out part one here.


Nacho slept for almost 4 months. It's totally normal (and absolutely glorious as a non-willing pet mama) and called brumation. It's like hibernation for lizards. Anyways, during those long months, Chelsea obviously and with good reason, lost interest in the lizard. It was boring. It wasn't new and exciting anymore. So it meant that I was constantly having to nag her and remind her and I just felt so frustrated. This wasn't supposed to be my job! Getting this lizard was a bad decision that wouldn't go away.


Fast forward a few more months and just visualize lots of nagging. We go camping lots during the summer and then we (read: I) had to find a few babysitters for Nacho. We brought her cage to a few houses and it all worked out fine. (Also - Hey Nacho! You know that long sleeping thing you do? Maybe do it during the summer when we are super busy and want to ignore you. That'd be great.)




However, at the end of summer, when we returned from our latest trip, we noticed that she was breathing funny. I did not think too much of it, as bearded dragons can get stressed easily. (Yes, stressed. They get anxious over making sure there's enough food and money for bills. OH WAIT.)


Eventually we had to make a decision about whether or not to take Nacho to the vet. I started adding up the costs in my head - vet bill, medicine, etc. all while Chelsea is sobbing in front of me.


Chris and I (again, mostly me) decided that if the cost was over a certain (albeit ridiculous) amount, we'd make the tough, but fair decision to bring Nacho home, un-medicated. Chelsea was beside herself and devastated, but deep down, I was slightly relieved. No more worrying about the lizard. (Don't judge me. I know you're thinking I'm a terrible person, but COME ON. IT'S A LIZARD!!)


Because of the busy day, Chris had to take Nacho to the vet in the city, alone. This proved to be a mistake as he has such a heart for animals. I knew I was in trouble when he sent me this picture.
A lizard x-ray. Yup. A lizard x-ray, showing a classic lung infection IN A LIZARD. A lizard x-ray showing a classic lung infection that can only be cured with antibiotic injections every three days. INJECTIONS. And yup, Chris bought them.
It didn't matter the total we had agreed upon. Big Softie Daddy would never have been able to disappoint his daughter. We came home and Chelsea has been ever the doting mother since Nacho's return. She emptied her piggy bank to help cover the costs. Because I wasn't at the vet, Chris and Chelsea have bonded over saving Nacho's life. I'm doing very little and loving it.


So let's recap...
Bad parenting decision #1 - letting your not even 10 year old buy an exotic pet.
Bad parenting decision #2 - secretly wishing for an extreme vet bill so that perhaps that exotic pet will go to exotic pet heaven and live a very happy exotic life on a cloud.
Bad parenting decision #3 - sending the softie parent to the vet with the sick animal who would then pay an outrageous amount to keep this thing alive.


Sometimes, when you are a parent, you make a decision and you eventually realize that maybe it was the wrong decision. But over time, you forget. Life goes on and you make a million more decisions, some good and some bad, but you move on.


Unless your bad decision stares you in the face EVERY SINGLE DAY.

No comments :

Post a Comment