Pages

Sunday, October 9, 2011

Defying Gravity

Yesterday I ran a half marathon. 13.1 miles or 21.1 km. My good friend and inspiration Amanda offered to run beside me, even though it meant slowing way down from her usual pace. (She's a rock star. This was her 7th half marathon.)

I've always claimed that I'm not pretty when I run, but these pictures totally make me regret the bandana. It is a lulu lemon one, but still. Ah well, it was very effective at keeping the sweat out of my eyes!

There were 208 runners, with 72 running the half marathon.

Lined up, all ready to go.

These pictures make me laugh. I'm totally a dork. Seriously. We had to loop around Winkler twice. The first time, we were wearing our sunglasses. The second time, we were wishing for our sweaters!


And I finished. I wanted to keep 10 minute miles, and so  I was pretty pumped when I crossed at 2:12. I didn't really have any goals in mind, as this was the first time I had ever run anything longer than 12 miles. It was a huge accomplishment, no matter what the time!
Every person who completes the half marathon, got a medal. Woo hoo!!
Seriously - look at Amanda - she doesn't even look like she just ran 13 miles. Tall Amanda, however, does, and still regrets the bandana!

:) One of my life's goals crossed off the list.

12 comments :

  1. Way to go!! A huge accomplishment!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So awesome! I think the bandana is pretty cute.... lol :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so excited for you!

    I am curious, though. If you've only (snort!) ever run 12k, how did you find taking on the extra 1.1? Was it quite hard, or were you in a groove and just kept going?

    (I can't believe you ran to the Ashville junction!)

    I know I keep saying it, but don't know how else to word it: I am SOOO proud of you! You are so strong!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jennifer (my sister) - 12 MILES, not km! The last mile was really hard. I was tired, but I did it. Now I'm ready to do it again

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was so glad I got to cheer you two lovely ladies on as you crossed the finish line. Such an accomplishment!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I especially love the picture of Gavin hugging your tired leg. Way to go! When's the next one? JUST KIDDING.

    ReplyDelete
  7. PS - your bandana is the WORST. Better?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oops - I meant miles, not km.

    It's still the Ashville junction.

    ReplyDelete
  9. great work, what an inspiration and you look amazing...stop fretting the headband.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You did great! Hope you can smile about that one for a long time!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Way to go!! you should be so proud.

    ReplyDelete
  12. How awesome for you!! You still look great, no matter what you say :)

    ReplyDelete