Pages

Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Purse = Giant bag of money

So I had a hair cut tonight and I was greatly anticipating it. Not that I was doing anything drastic, but I was trying out a new hairdresser and let's be honest, I haven't had a haircut in many months.

I hopped in my husband's car. It's a little black Golf that happens to be a standard. No problem. I'm very comfortable driving stick.

So I park on the driveway, make the effort to shut off the lights (because I've left them on in the past) and I walk to the door of the house. As I'm opening the door, I turn back and look at the car to be sure the lights are off.
*Items in the diagram may not be to scale.

Happy the lights are off, I turn back to the door to go into the house when it all starts to process. "...The..... car..... IS... MOVING!!!!"

In what feels like super speed, I drop my purse and RUN towards the car. Apparently, at that moment, I believed that I was consumed with super human strength and/or that Chris' little Golf was indeed just a little toy car, because I grabbed the door handle and tried to dig in my heels and stop the car from rolling down the steeply inclined driveway. This is when everything starts going in super slow motion and I start chanting some weird "no.. no... nonononononono!!!"
.
(Oh, and yes, there was car heading my direction.)

That aside, at this moment as the car is gaining speed and going down the driveway, eventually bumping onto the road, I realize that, unfortunately, I'm not going to be able to stop the car (shocker - I know).

Somehow, with the help of God, I wrench open the door and throw myself in, slamming my arm into the doorframe in the process.

Now, I am in the car, still continuing that weird, "no.. no... nonononononono" as I slam on the brakes. Finally, after what feels like a million moments, the car stops rolling and I look to my left and there is a car, also stopped. Now, granted, I'm pretty sure this person has seen the WHOLE scene play out and has had plenty of opportunity to slow down, and laugh and laugh.

But then, as I'm sitting there, heart pounding so loudly that I can't think, I realize that I need keys to start the car to pull it back up out of the driveway. In a panic, I think they are in my purse, which as you remember, is way up by the house.

So I sheepishly try to get up out of the car and realize that the keys are on the seat between my legs, so I start the car and pull it back up the driveway, praying that I won't stall it with my stupidity. I manage to pull it together, pull the car into the driveway, put the E-brake on, shut off the car and walk back to the door.
Seriously, did that JUST happen? It was like the movies, I swear. It was a scene from the movies.

Now, don't you wish you were my hairdresser who got to hear the play-by-play, filled with adrenaline as I struggled to catch my breath and burst into fits of laughter as I kept replaying the scene in my head? C'mon.

It was just like the movies. 

6 comments :

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome story!! I do not know how you made it into the car-Obviously a God thing! So glad that you and your car are ok! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a pretty funny story! Hope your arm is ok though.

    Now where are your new haircut photos though!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hahaaha! oh dear - that is what would totally happen to me! Thanks for the great laugh to start off my day - but I do hope your arm is okay :) And I'm sure your hair looks fabulous too!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL thanks so much for sharing that story. totally made my day:) glad nothing serious happened.



    Nettie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Okay, that made me laugh!! At least there was no damage to anything!

    When my mom was still a teenager, someone borrowed her car and it had a problem with backing up on its own. The brake didn't brake right. Anyways, she saw it all happen too, but her car drove into the bank in Morris because the person who borrowed her car didn't put the brake on right! :)

    ReplyDelete