I learned something last week. These things?
Sure, you might know them as
"sprinkles" - innocent little balls of sugar that bring joy to masses
of children around the world. Cake decorators call them "nonpareils"
kind of in the same way all the cool kids call the zigzag pattern
"chevron". Sprinkles, nonpareils, and outside of North America, they
are called, "hundreds and thousands". (Thanks Wikipedia.)
Wikipedia states, "Their origin is
uncertain, but they may have evolved out of the pharmaceutical use of sugar, as
they were a miniature version of comfits."
I beg to differ. I am fairly certain and
would almost bet money on the fact that they may have evolved over time from an
ancient device designed to torture prisoners.
You see, although they are cute, tiny,
sweet and crunchy, little tiny balls of joy, they are also hard, impenetrable,
unyielding pellets that when dumped upon the floor by your youngest child, will
scatter and spread across the floor and fill every crevice, real and imaginary,
in your ENTIRE HOUSE. (Here's where the "hundreds and thousands" name
loses its irony and becomes very real.)
Sure, you can pull out the central vac
because you realize that it would be pointless to try and sweep them up. After
all, they are teeny tiny little balls. It wouldn't make sense to try to brush
them all in the same direction. C'mon, you are smarter than that.
However, what you might not realize is
that vacuum cleaners also blow out air, so when you try to get the nozzle close
enough, these tiny balls spread even farther. Sure, you might suck up 80% of
them, but the other 20% have instantly taken up residence all over your house,
laughing with glee that they've escaped every effort to be cleaned up.
So back to the torture part... you might
think I'm referring to the torture of being unable to clean these up. Gasp! The
horror of having an unclean house might eat away at some of you.
Not to worry - that ship has long sailed
over here in this household. I'm perfectly at peace with the fact that my house
won't be clean, EVER AGAIN. I made peace with that fact sometime in 2007 when
my first child was born. Since then, another two children have joined forces
with her, the dust bunnies, and the weird sticky goo that lives under my stove
to form a little, mini, messy army whose sole purpose is to wreak havoc in
every room of the house. I waved the white flag at the idea of having a clean
house years ago.
The torture part is that I go barefoot,
all the time. 24/7. As soon as I walk in the door, I take off my shoes and
socks. The 8 random black socks in my entranceway will stand as evidence to
this fact. (Make that 7 socks, because we all know that one of them always
disappears.) When you are walking barefoot and you step on one of the above
mentioned "sprinkles" it always manages to hit the nerve ending that
is connected directly to some central pain centre and it feels like you are
walking on shards of glass. Shrapnel from the little, mini, messy army perhaps?
Who knows?! All I know is that for days now, I'll bounce happily down my
carpeted stairs and suddenly stop at the bottom step and beginning scanning the
floor in a panic.
It's a tough call - do I get my hopes up
that today will be the day that my tender toes don't step on a teeny ball of
happiness, or do I simply put on my slippers and let the little buggers win
again, but cry inside that I can't go barefoot?
See what I mean?
Sprinkles = Torture.
No comments :
Post a Comment