Pages

Friday, January 30, 2015

Perspective

 Lately, I've been pretty swamped with life in general. I could go on and list things like my kids, my job, my husband, etc, but we all have our own lists and they are all equally important and  pressing and overwhelming.

And here's what we do... we post pictures of our day. We all do it. Here. I could post this one right now.
I'd call it, "Mmm... coffee in bed." It'd probably get a few likes as we all love coffee, right? Such a good start to our busy days.

Let's zoom out a little, shall we?
Little less coffee in that cup, and a slight hint of chaos in the background. Sure. Seems reasonable. Most people would still focus on that glorious cup of java, and not give it another thought. Like!

But let's zoom out even farther, shall we?
Oooh, there it is. There's the real world. Take a long look. Take it in...

Yup, there's a cup of coffee, warmed twice with too much cream just to act as my "treat" to get me through the day. 

There's the obvious pile of Mount Laundry, always waiting to be folded. We all have that, right? Staring at you, waiting, waiting, and waiting... I'm really good at washing and drying. Folding, nah? 

The unmade bed with the uncoordinated bedding, well nothing really changes there. We don't make our bed, ever. And I'm just simply too in love with my blankets, the perfect weight and warmth, to try to have coordinating bedsheets, duvets, etc. Plus, I'm cheap. I would need to win a bunch of money to spend money on a matching bed. 

Oh and the favourite jeans on the bed. Sometimes, they are my favourite because they are the only ones that do up. Sometimes they are my favourite because I only own one pair. Sometimes they are my favourite because I don't like pants, so they sit nicely on my bed, while I dance around the house in shorts.

But you don't see any of that in my picture. Nope. You see a nice, creamy cup of coffee and you think to yourself, "Oh Amanda. She's so together. She's got a job, a husband, three kids, a house, a dog... and yet she still takes time to sit and enjoy a cup of coffee in bed." Why do we do it? Why do we pretend that life is all roses, when sometimes it's more just a big bushel of thorns with the odd flower peeking through?

This resonates with me. 
 Cheers to doing it every day. Finding the moments of sanity that keep us going.

YOU are enough, coffee in hand, chaos around.

3 comments :

  1. you are so right, it's important to remember life isn't what's in those pretty, perfect squares. I like a beautiful picture as much or more then anyone else, but so important to remember inside that frame is never the whole or true picture. We all need to add pics of mount laundry, messy floors and naked yoga one and a while ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing this! So many of us try to make it look like we have everything together, when honestly most of us (me!) Don't! And that's okay :)
    Kim

    ReplyDelete