Pages

Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Putting my money where my mouth is

I'm a great mom. I really am but desperate times call for desperate measures.


Well this weekend, we were at a hotel with a water slide and pool, and then we visited a different water park. All summer last year, I tried to bribe Gavin with toys, money, and/or candy almost daily. This kid would not dunk his head under the water for love nor money. He absolutely refused. He was fine with it. I was frustrated.

So this weekend, when we went swimming the first time, I tried bribing him again. Again, he said no way. Not happening. So I opened my big mouth and made him an offer. I told him that I'd pay him $10 every time he dunked his head. Nope. No dice. 

The next day, we went to a water park and played for a few hours. As we were leaving, Gavin yelled, "Wait! WAIT! I need to dunk my head!" Eli had to go to the bathroom, so I left Chris with Gavin and said, "Good luck." He'd often say that he wanted to do it and then stop, so I didn't think too much about it. 

The next thing I hear, Gavin comes running in, saying that he dunked his head 10 times! Ten times! I laughed! He finally did it. Then he looked at me and said, "$10 a time. That's one HUNDRED dollars, mom!!"

Uhh, yikes! I was so hesitant to pay up until the next day he went swimming and spent most of his time underwater. YES!! $100 well spent to break through that fear. 

So yes, I did indeed pay my son $100 for dunking his head. And I am proud of that fact, but even more proud of my son who will now dunk his head!

1 comment :

  1. You should have seen him when he was in the pool with me, constantly playing and going under.

    ReplyDelete