You know, as a mother, we can be made to so easily feel guilty. There are no easy answers. No gigantic book of parenting that will provide the exact answer to each new dilemma we face every day.
It starts the instant the child is born. Wait! Scratch that. In reality it starts the moment they are conceived. People start giving you advice on what you should eat, how much you should eat, what kind of vitamins you should take, how much rest you should be getting, how you should be exercising, how you shouldn't mowing grass or shovelling snow, how you shouldn't carry your other children because they are too heavy... the list is endless. (Did you know you shouldn't lift your arms above your head? ;) Throw in some criticism for choosing (or not choosing) a midwife versus a doctor and sprinkle it generously with opinions of your weight gain. Too much, too little? OH MAN! IS IT TWINS??
Then the day comes when you reach that glorious 40 weeks! The baby is fully cooked. Hospital birth? Home birth? C-section? Natural labour? Induction? Ooh and then the D word. Are you going to take drugs? Epidural? Laughing gas? And then - breastfeeding or formula feeding? Cloth diapers? And you haven't even held your baby!
Then somehow, some way, you wind up with this perfect little person in your arms. As you are admiring this little miracle, you freeze. OH MAN! IS THAT MY MOM'S NOSE?
Now, you have this stranger in your house that you have to figure out. You are overwhelmed with a million questions and with every answer, the guilt has opportunity to pile on. How do we get our kids to sleep through the night? Should we use bumper pads? Co-sleeping? Do we use a soother? How do we get rid of soothers? When should I introduce solids? Should I buy baby food? Make baby food? How old should my child be to potty train?
Don't worry though. You aren't alone in making any of these choices. Every single person that you meet will have an opinion that they will generously offer to you. Each and every single person will be kind enough to tell you what they did, how they did it and why it was the right way, just in case you weren't feeling inadequate enough.
And this is what leads me to write this blog post. Now, I'm to the point of child-rearing where I have an almost 4 year old, who has turned out pretty okay, and a 19 month old. I've written about this before, somewhere, this mama-guilt, but yesterday I was pretty consumed with it again.
You see, my sweet, amazing, smart, cute, happy 19 month old doesn't speak. He babbles and says sounds like ma, da, ba, na, etc. He calls me Ma, in a deep voice resembling a 40 year old man, and Chris is Da. A few months ago though, he was saying "mama" and "dada" clear as a bell. Now, I am not worried that there is something developmentally wrong with m'boy. He understand what I say and follows directions. He runs, plays, jumps, stacks toys, sorts toys, etc. He plays well with other kids and is such a great kid. But according to the doctor, he should be speaking. GUILT. The concern is that he might not be able to hear.
Sigh. Really? Hearing again? Oh mama with your bad ears. Can we just pick the genes we pass on? Now, I'm fairly sure that his hearing is fine, but I would kick myself for not getting it checked out, just on the off chance that his apparently lack of hearing is causing speech delays. I just feel like this boy got some bad genetics somehow. Add onto that his need for surgery in March, and I just felt a little defeated yesterday.
Can't we pick something that we can blame on daddy, just this once? "I'm sorry Mrs. Hildebrand, but your son is simply too tall to hear what is being said." Yeah, much better.
I love this post. So true.. all the guilt stuff. But sometimes we are our own worst enemy. Give yourself some grace. You are a loving mama and always do your best for your kiddos. They know that.. they love you and whatever you will face with parenting hold onto that. Love. Grace. Guilt be gone!!
ReplyDeleteYou're an amazing Mama. You know that.
ReplyDeleteI hear you on the Mama guilt. Been there, repeatedly. When Talia wouldn't walk until she was almost 18 months, I went to all the appointments even though I felt that there was nothing wrong with my baby, and I was right. So when we got the referral for Declan, part of me rolled my eyes and thought "this again." But this time there is something wrong, and there are things that we can be doing to help him, so that's fine, too. That's what all these services are for, that's where my tax money goes, blah blah blah. It still sucks to think something's not quite right with your kid.
(And I'm still blaming Daddy. :P)
Hang in there, this too shall pass.
Yeah, opinion are helpful at times, but other times, please just shut your mouth, right? haha!
ReplyDeleteI'm sorry you're dealing with a few things right now - I'll be thinking and praying for you and for Gavin.
I hear ya on the guilt. Lots of things I feel guilty for! Your babies are clearly very loved and you are an awesome momma. Don't let the doctor worry you about Gavin not talking yet. He understands stuff, he's smart and he will totally talk when he's ready. One of my friends son was over 2 and hardly said anything at all. He understood stuff, but just didn't really talk much and only used a few words. One day he decided he wanted to talk and within a few weeks he was talking up a storm. Gavin is prolly just content to let Chelsea do all the talking and he'll talk more when he feels like it. *hugs* Remember, you are an awesome mom!
ReplyDeleteAMEN!!! I am going though with the same stuff (first half of your post). I'm actually glad that my hubby's brother is expecting a baby now so everyone will stop with me. Amanda you are a great Mom and your Kids rock!! Chin up!
ReplyDeleteMy oldest didn't really talk until he was 4. He hasn't stopped talking since. Maybe it's the hearing. Maybe not. Be good to yourself.
ReplyDeleteCaleb does not run and he is 2! He JUST started saying real words maybe 6 weeks ago, and only I understand most of them. My doctor said not to worry. He had 4 kids and they all spoke a completely different times.
ReplyDeleteUnless you beat your kids or neglect them I tell people to have no guilt. I sure have gotten better at this, spent the first year- year and a half 100% guilty because nothing worked out how I planned and everyone had an opinion.
Thank you for a honest post. I hope writing it gave you some sort of peace. As all the others have said, don't panic and just trust God for all things. Hope your apointments go well.
ReplyDeletemuch like everyone else is saying..don't worry. Dino just turned 2 and just started talking clear enough that I understand his one or two word sentences. I absolutely believe his big sister is to blame, she talks enough for the both of them.... :)
ReplyDelete