Pages

Sunday, June 29, 2014

Sweet, sweet G turns 5.

Five years. Five. This seems almost unbelievable. In my head, this sweetie is always three. I find it hard to believe that he's so grown up. He's grown from this sweet faced, chubby one month old, to my still-squishy cheeked, brilliant cuddly boy. We celebrate 5 years of Gavin. 


For a cake, Gavin was unsure for the longest time. Once, when asked what he wanted for a cake, he responded, "an item cake." When I questioned him further, he said, "you know, a cake with items on it that might come in handy - like a hammer, a piece of tape, and ummm... a banana." He then said he wanted a Mario cake (again), a Skylanders cake (so complicated) and a Transformers cake (he doesn't even really know what they are.) Finally, one night when reading before bed, he said he wanted a cake with all the Mr. Men on it. Done deal! Easy enough. I put Mr. Happy, Mr. Sneeze, Mr. Small, Mr. Messy, Mr. Tickle, Mr. Funny and Mr. Noisy on his cake. He was thrilled. Plus, it was fun doing an upside down cake. 



 Gavin's birthday was made up of all of his favourite things: facepainting, a treasure hunt (complete with a piñata full of candy for the prize), carnival games and a craft.

His latest obsession is Skylanders (move over Mario, you've been replaced!) and he was so happy to get some characters to play with.



The treasure hunt had clues scattered all over the yard and even sent the group across to the school and over to our favourite neighbours' house. However, we weren't anticipating the rain, but the kids still did it - they just ran a little faster. We hung the piñata in the garage and the kids had a blast smashing it.


 I kept supper very simple - pigs in a blanket and cheezies. I usually go way overboard, so it was really hard to scale back, but all the kids had fun, and I wasn't super stressed out. Win-win!
 5 candles!
 When it was all over, he said, "Mommy. This was the best day ever. Ever. Like the ultimate ever!"
And that's why I go a little crazy over birthdays.

We also had a little celebration at Grandma and Grandpa's. Grandma surprised Gavin with a cake that had a working Mario racetrack all around the outside. It was pretty special. (The cake also had a heart on one half for me - Gavin and I have birthdays 3 days apart.)




















It feels like it won't be long before I'm writing about this guy's number 6. Time can slow down anytime now!

No comments :

Post a Comment