At the end of the day, I question myself as the day plays over in my mind. Did I spend enough qulaity time with Chelsea or was I just killing time? Did I act and speak with kindness and patience? Did I make the right decisions in response to her actions? Did I show her how overwhelming my love for her really is? Did I do this? Did I do that?
Often, I don't think I did too badly. Not to "toot my own horn" but I think I'm a pretty good mother. (You know, except for the day she burned herself, oh and the day she fell at my feet and bruised her head, oh and when she was reaching for me and I moved and she fell and banged her nose... other than that, I'm great. ;) ) I try every day to cherish the moments and time that I have with her because soon I won't be home with her all day. And she is growing up so fast that I realize I won't ever have this time with her again. I think that when it comes to being a mother, and the things I can control, I have chosen wisely.
But what about those things that are out of your hands? Those things that you cannot control no matter how hard you try?
When I was pregnant, I always had a fear that my baby wouldn't be perfect. When I thought of Chris and I creating a child, all of our flaws seemed to loom over this unborn baby. I envisioned a baby with a strawberry birthmark like her mom, only instead of on her back, it was on her face. I had fears of a baby with a huge head like her dad, a nose like her grandma (sorry mom!), or a baby covered with hair. I feared the unknown and these fears were irrational, I know. I knew that I would love that baby no matter what, but I really did want her to be cute. When Chelsea was brought to me and I saw her for the first time, all those fears vanished. She really was the most beautiful baby I had ever seen. (It's okay for you to admit too.) See? Adorable!
Fear. Guilt. More fear. More guilt. Anyone who knows me knows of my ear/hearing problems. Chris also had the same thing when he was growing up. Have we somehow managed to pass on a weak gene to Chelsea with regards to her ears? I pray (and declare) right now that Chelsea will not have ear problems. Her ears will be healthy.
But in the back of my mind looms the evil "what if?" thoughts. It wouldn't be the end of the world, but it really does make you wonder which traits were genetically passed on.
The only thing we can do is wait and pray and see what shows up. That's part of the excitement of motherhood, isn't it? Watching the unknown become known. Watching your child develop into a little person with his or her own thoughts and personality. Watching to see how tall she grows, who she looks like, what colour her hair will be, and so on.
All I know for now is that she is an amazing little girl and having her has changed the way I look at and live my life.
So guilt, be gone. Fear - leave. I want to replace guilt and fear with peace and joy. I am a good mother to a wonderful little girl.
Great post Amanda.
ReplyDeleteWhat a great post. You're doing a fantastic job with her!
ReplyDeleteyes all i have is sappy cliches.. you are a good mom all that you know.
ReplyDeletewe all are only doing our best.. the best we can with what we have. flaws or no flaws.. life is fleeting... chelsea is best off because she has you. i am encouraged daily by your faith and your knowledge of the power of the way our words have power. thanks for helping me out... standing with you for healthy eyes and ears always for chelsea.
Girl, if I were to kick myself for everything I do wrong with my kids I would be black and blue, battered to the point of nonrecognition. We have to do the best we can with what we are given - which is God's word. You are doing fine and will continue do you so because you love you daughter. Nice curtain, by the way. Eva.
ReplyDeleteOh guilt. I know it well. :)
ReplyDeleteOne tiny example for us is Alex's seizures when he gets a high fever. He gets that from me. I'm basically terrified that Joey will have them too. Impossible to control, but the worry is there.
And just wait until you're back to work. Some days I felt like the world's worst mother, because Alex was sick all the time due to daycare. But what can I do? For now, I have to work - and thankfully they've been understanding.
Seems to me like most moms think other moms have it together. But we don't. At all. Just know you're not at all alone in your fear, insecurities and guilt. ;)