Pages

Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Cake-a-doodle-doo!

So life changes quickly. I got a call on Monday morning, asking if I'd like to accept a term position teaching grade 1. It would start the following Monday, until the end of June. Wow. That's huge. I did all my education and student teaching for highschool and thought I was pushing it to teach Grade 7 and then Grade 6. Now to teach Grade 1?? I have no idea what to do, but the principal has assured me that I will have support and resources and so I accepted. Wow. Grade 1, eh? It also means that I will be going back to work full time. I was working about 3 - 4 days a week subbing, so it will be more than that, but the pay should be much better, which is a total answer to prayer. So that means this weekend will be spent trying to figure out what to teach the little cuties.

However, I also have 4 cakes to decorate before Monday! Ack! I have another Scooby to make, a High School Musical themed cake to make, a cake for Mother's Day that I want to try something a little different with, and then I have to make and do the first coat of icing on a cake for my class on Monday. Wow! Who needs sleep? I don't, I don't!

Speaking of sleep - we had a bit of a crisis last night. I wrapped Chelsea up and put her to sleep at 8:00 - usually we don't hear a peep out of her until 7:00 the next morning... Well, last night at like 10:00, she woke up, cried for 3 seconds and then was quiet. But she did this over the next hour and a half a bunch of times. Cried for an instant, then was quiet. Finally at 11:30 I figured I'd go in and nurse her so she'd be peaceful and get a good sleep.

Well, I go in there and her little legs are stuck in between two rails of the crib! I tried to push them back through, but one was stuck. Now, she's screaming and I'm starting to panic inside, thinking she's got a broken leg, or she's going to get one. I call for Chris to come and help me and we wind up having to cut off her pajamas (they were footie pajamas so we couldn't pull them up) and grease her leg with margarine so we could pull her knee back through. She was fine, and doesn't even have a bruise there, but it was scary! She often kicks the side of her crib, so she must have been doing that pretty hard and her leg slipped right through. Crazy girl.

I gotta go though. The only reason I had time to post this is because I'm at work and I have a prep. I'm going to miss the relaxing days of subbing!

4 comments :

  1. Awww poor Chelsea! Glad she was okay...I would've been freaking out! Congrats on the teaching position. Something different, something new to learn...it'll be good eh? Sounds like you're pretty busy with your cakes too!! Make sure you take some time to relax!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are getting a new Grade 1 teacher in our school - not you eh?
    The leg getting stuck happened to Josiah a few months back and I panicked too.
    Boy when opportunity comes knocking - it knocks hard. If you need to back out on Ariel's cake I would totally understand. Just let me know ahead so I can get a different cake.
    And, try to get some rest in all the craziness.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on the job and good luck with the cakes! And I hate to tell you, but I can't even count the number of times Alex got a leg or a foot stuck in the crib...:/

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is awesome about the teaching job! Congrats to you!

    And that is so scary when their legs are stuck between the bars. Chelsea must be a tough girl for her to only make little peeps about it! Or she was that tired! I'm glad it all worked out and everyone's ok.

    ReplyDelete