I don't think I've ever been so nervous.
This comes close to the time that I was a grade 1 teacher for 6 weeks, but when I was doing that, I had so much support that I knew I could do it. (Although I did cry about 3 times in the principal's office during those first few weeks!)
I am not ready. I haven't done anything to prepare except sort through my boxes. I have so many boxes still in my garage because they are full of grade 6 stuff that won't be used this year. It made me really sad to see all that time, hard work and effort be packed away.
I know that teaching grade 3 and 4 will be a growing experience for me. It's good to get out of the box we put ourselves in. But right now, it just looks so overwhelming. I like feeling proficient and confident. But right now, I don't know how to teach grade 3, grade 4 or a split grade. I don't know how to effectively manage the time between the two grades and not to mention it's needing to learn seven new curriculums - Gr 3 math, science and social studies, Gr 4 math, science and social studies, oh and Gr 4 French too! If I was teaching a new grade, I probably wouldn't be so overwhelmed. Grade 3? Sure. Grade 4? Sure. But together? Sigh.
Sigh.
Anyone out there want a grade 6 teacher? Please? I'm really good at grade 6.
I will be praying for you Amanda as you deal with changes. Sometimes it is the changes that are the most challenging.
ReplyDeleteUmmm...no, sorry I don't need a grade 6 teacher right now. :P But seriously, I hope you can relax and get to be more comfortable with it all as you slide into your new position. Prayin' for you. Ever need a break...you know where to find me!
ReplyDeleteYou'll do great... :P
ReplyDeleteChange and growth are scary things but also good things. I am sure you will learn alot abotu yourself during this year. The good the bad and the ugly it all comes out when we are pushed beond the comfort zone but you'll survive and come out the other end hopefully even better!
luv ya!
Have you considered contacting other teachers who have experience in split classes? I know last year there was a grade 3/4 split in Jolee's school. Just a thought.
ReplyDeleteI hope you find your niche with the kids, and a way to work with the age group that is beneficial for you all.
YOU WILL BE FINE. Remember that I originally took that 3/4 class and set up in the library and got ready in THREE days. YOU WILL BE FINE.
ReplyDeleteI bet in a couple months you will be laughing about how you were nervous. You are going to do awesome and yay for part time!
ReplyDeleteGood luck. I taught the 7/8 split for awhile, and it was awesome. Hopefully you'll have a similar experience :)
ReplyDeleteI know it's not the same but I have a grade 2/6/7 split class :-). I find it overwhelming at first but once I find a routine I really enjoy it and so do the kids. I'm sure you will be fine and even enjoy it once you find a routine that works for you and the kids. No one expects perfection the first week anyway.
ReplyDeleteThanks everyone. I know it will be fine; I'm just venting.
ReplyDeleteAnd Eva - I don't think your three kids count as the same. lol I'm pretty sure 27 kids and 27 sets of parents are a touch more overwhelming. :P
Oh, you will be fantastic. I agree with others. A month after school starts, you'll be laughing at how overwhelmed you were feeling.
ReplyDeleteI can imagine it to be scary. But its the same idea, just younger kids. And don't they basically learn the same thing, just a little harder for grade 4? I don't know.
But either way, stay strong, and confident because YOU WILL DO FABULOUS!!!
relax, you will do great and everything will fall into place
ReplyDeleteyou'll be great amanda!!!
ReplyDelete