Pages

Monday, June 13, 2011

My baby!

Birthdays are a great time for me to look back on the life with my babies. I went through two years of pictures last night, just reminiscing on Gavin and his life with us.

Two years ago, I looked like this. Yikes!! I had *almost* forgotten how huge I was! Look at that belly.



Another thing you forget about is how horrenderous labour is. And how horrendous you look in labour. YIKES!! This picture was taken after my water broke. Look at that shelf of baby! I was working on day 3 of intense labour. Not a pretty picture - obviously!

Seriously - that picture should be shown in high school sex ed classes. No one would want to risk getting pregnant!


But then, finally the glorious c-section that resulted in me finally meeting my baby boy - all 10lbs, 4 ozs of him!


His head was huge! He was battered and bruised and covered in poop, but he was here safe and healthy.My heart melts when I look at his baby pictures. I honestly could post a gazillion pictures, just to stare at them all day. There's nothing as sweet as a fresh baby.



I remember how worried I was during my pregnancy. Chelsea was our world, and I couldn't fathom how I would ever be able to love another baby like I loved her. Then this boy appeared and it is amazing how quickly I fell in love. His widow's peak and dimples? Sigh...


Gavin has brought us so much joy. I can't even express in words how loveable this kid is. He is always happy (well, until this week - sigh - temper tantrums), and so caring. He adores being touched and snuggled. If I happen to be standing near him, he'll take my hand and place it on his head, just so I can give it a rub. At daycare, he is spoiled with hugs by the older children - so much so that he has come to expect hugs from random children out and about!
My boy really doesn't talk much yet. We've noticed a huge improvement since his surgery, but he's still got a ways to go. I am never "mommy", but always "mum." It's like he's taking attendance. He'll look to Chris "Dad" then me, "Mum" "Dad" "Mum" and every once in a while we'll get a "Dog" as he points to Sophie. It's awesome. He is also HUGE into counting and easily counts to 10. Today he was even working on showing me his fingers as he counted. If I knew how to post a video, I totally would.


Right now, we have issues with him eating. I know that it's a normal phase, but I seriously wonder how he has enough energy to get through the day. He has cereal and a banana for breakfast... and that's pretty much it for the day. There's a few snacks here and there, but not much. He's addicted to his sippy cup and his extremely watered down apple juice.
(Not the most flattering picture - I know. We never did figure out what caused that horrible rash on his face.) Gavin is a very rough and tumble boy. He adores wrestling, body slamming, and any sort of rough horseplay. He giggles the entire time he's jumping on the trampoline and you can never lay down anywhere without him thinking it's time to wrestle. He is always running, even if it's just a few steps. He even had to get 2 stitches in the side of his head lately. I am honestly surprised it took this long. He plays hard!!







He loves books and reading, especially if there are numbers involved. Monkey is referred to as "Naa" (have no idea why) and Gavin is well aware that he has two identical monkeys. Nothing gives him more joy that to walk around the house with one monkey tucked under each arm.


Gavin is not big into trucks, cars, trains, etc, yet. I sometimes wonder if it's because he has an older sister and so we are often playing barbies, my little ponies, or kitchen. He has cars, but has no interest in them. Having an older sister has also fostered his love of Dora.



He is definitely an outdoors boy. We are outside as often as we can be, and if it's windy or cold and we are forced inside, he'll stand at the door and cry.


I am so thankful that God chose us to be the parents of this amazing little boy. I'm overwhelmed with love for him and would love to sneak into his room and snuggle him, but he is such a light sleeper that wouldn't work well.


Gavin - you are such a joy to "mum" and "dad". We love you more than you'll ever know. Thanks for the greatest 2 years, Buddy!!

5 comments :

  1. Awww.... what a great post!

    He's such a sweetheart - I love him so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hands down - best lips! Happy Birthday Gavin.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday Gavin!!

    ps - that was one amazing baby belly!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post! He is such a sweetheart! And every time I see a picture of your belly I think to myself "how did that not hurt you?" lol. Wow, and amazing how that all goes away and you look so awesome now!!!
    Happy 2nd Birthday Gavin!!

    ReplyDelete