Last year when G had his surgery, he was screaming as they took him from me, he screamed as he went under and screamed for 2.5 hours when he woke up. I was soooo worried about that part of it.This time, I talked to the anesthetist and we decided to try putting him out with a different drug. He happily wheeled his shopping-cart-o-monkeys into the OR and that was it.
When they called us from the waiting room into the Recovery Room, I was happy that I couldn't hear him screaming from the hallway. The nurses kept saying how bad his recovery was because he was crying and kicking, but Chris and I just kept reassuring them that this was nothing compared to last time. He only cried for about 45 minutes and I didn't walk out of there with bruises, so thanks for all your prayers!
The next few hours were spent giving him lots of cuddles and trying to convince him to drink some juice. His main complaint was about the IV. Like mama, like baby.
The night was rough. He still had a local on his mouth and throat and so that wasn't bothering him, but he kept crying about his IV and the fact that he had to stay in a crib. We got maybe 5 hours sleep in total.
However, the next morning, he was ready to go home. It wasn't until later when the local wore off that things became fun. For the first 5 days at home, all he did was wander around whining and crying. He only drank and didn't eat. It was awful. It's been a week tomorrow and he's finally acting like himself and eating again. Yay.
Interesting fact #1 - One of the side effects of adenoid surgery is awful, foul, unrelentless bad breath for 7 - 10 days. Interesting fact #2 - being pregnant can heighten your sense of smell.
Now, if these two interesting facts happen to collide, for example a young boy who has his adenoids taken out and his mother happens to be 22 weeks pregnant, it can present an awkward situation. Every time I try to cuddle him, I wind up gagging. Now I know you might think I'm exaggerating, but it's true. Chris had him in the van two days ago and left him in there for a few minutes while he ran an errand and when he opened the van door, even Chris complained about the smell in the van. Here's hoping that clears up soon because it is unbearable!!
Seriously though, thanks for thinking of us, friends. I really appreciated all the texts and messages. It went really well, and here's hoping we are done with surgeries for a long, long time!
Just reading your story made my eyes water..poor little guy. I am so glad he is feeling better and I really hope it solves his hearing and speeches troubles. He looks so handsome and so grown up. I love the shopping cart picture. Mommy and Daddy look tired tho.
ReplyDeleteHappy to hear he's starting to do better!
ReplyDeletePoor buddy. Glad he's on the upswing now.
ReplyDeleteHey
ReplyDeleteSitting in a hotel, James is asleep (not even 10 yet, Janessa is snoring) and I am on teh computer. Whoo hoo romance! Anyways,I love that I forget to check your blog often, because then when I do there is so much to read!
Your last post and the pics of Gavin made me have tears in my eyes!
Hope things are going better
Kim
i remember gagging after smelling Rileys breath too and u r def right it last quite a long time. i had just had Jordyn and was nursing and my sense of smell was still heightened too and oh my word thats nasty!
ReplyDelete