Pages

Sunday, October 19, 2008

Growin' up GP style

I didn't realize until I was grown and moved out, that some foods/meals that I grew up with weren't "normal" in everyone else's home.

Now I'm not just talking about little oddities, like ketchup on eggs. (Yum, by the way.) That's something that is at least not unheard of.

I'm talking about grilled cheese sandwiches. Yup. Just your regular ol' grilled cheese sandwiches, or so I thought. Anytime mom said we were getting grilled cheese, we knew what to expect. It was 2 slices of white bread with a thick layer of cheese whiz in the middle, buttered on the outsides, and roasted in the oven. The best part, however, is that on your plate, you would drizzle (or dunk) it with corn syrup. (We rarely had maple syrup; it was mostly corn syrup from what I remember). Yum. Grilled cheese with syrup. (My sister will back me up here.)

We also had mushroom soup on toast. Just make toast as per usual, butter it, cut it up into little peices, then pour enough warm mushroom soup over it to soak it all up. Again - yum, just not served in all households.

I'm sure there are more, (fried balogna and cheese slice sandwiches - with ketchup of course), that I could describe, but my grilled cheese is getting soggy in the syrup, so I gotta go.

Oh, and don't think that you are better than me! I know there's some weird quirks that you people have. My husband cooks pasta, opens a can of mushroom soup and mixes that together. I dated a guy from Winkler who insisted on putting salt on his watermelon slices. I've heard of people who can only eat apple pie with cheese, so I do know I'm not alone in my food oddities.

So tell me, what foods did you grow up with that you've since discovered aren't the norm. C'mon, nothing's going to beat grilled cheese and syrup.

9 comments :

  1. I LOVED mustard sandwiches.. sub buns smothered in mustard was always my lunch of choice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The syrup is what gets me...it made me gag a little..but we had the bologna/cheese fried ketchup a lot.

    Salt on the watermelon all the way...mmmmm

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm...the strangest thing I can think of eating is fried macaroni & ketchup...or cold rice with cinammon & white sugar.

    But the corn syrup almost made me throw up. Seriously. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. that is sick amanda...corn syrup like seriously...and heather that is also quite gross..not sure if i will ever be at your houses for supper again..lol!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey! You forgot scrambled eggs, cheese whiz and ketchup! Yum!!

    As for your other friends' suggestions: ew! lol

    Oh, square noodles (I call them chinese noodles, those supercheap ones that come in a bag that you have to crush before cooking - crushing is the funnest) with ketchup. I gave Mom, like, 8 pkgs when I SB-readied my house.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Eggs and ketchup are soo yummy! My family made something similar to your soup on toast. They put a can of tuna in the mushroom soup, and a touch of curry powder and poured it over toast. We had it on a regular basis. My dad would make the grossest dinner ever - it was boiled macaroni, fried up (unseasoned) hamburger and peas. All mixed together and then you would coat it with ketchup. Me and my sisters hated it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I honostly don't think I have any strange habits - all normal here :) My husband does the salt on the watermelon thing. The first time I ate 'faspa' at his parents' house when we were dating I noticed each one of his family members take part in an unusual ritual. They buttered half a white bun then took an iced cream cookie, placed it over the buttered bun and took a nice large bite.
    But, the strangest thing I have every heard comes from a friend of mine - her husband likes to add a cold wiener (yes you heard me - wiener) to his morning corn flakes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amanda, your syrup sandwich does not sound appealing to me, but I'm glad you like it.

    And Eva, although I don't know you, your comment about the cold weiner made me laugh out loud to myself, which, in fact, does not happen often. Kudos!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Syrup on grilled cheese ewe! Your style of grilled cheese is different than mine, we do bread with sliced processed cheese. My sister eats hers with mustard.
    My family eats cottage cheese pergoies with sugar, where as my husbands family does it with salt. My BIL eats salt on his cantaloupe.

    ReplyDelete