So yesterday we were over at the new house, standing in the backyard, talking to our new neighbours. We had seen the Conservative party representative walking door to door with a group of people, but thought they wouldn't come over because we were kinda hidden in the back yard. The three of us, Chris, our neighbour, and myself, had a quick little chat about this year's election, thinking we were safe from the door to door invasion.
We weren't.
The candidate pokes her head around and we chat for a few seconds about the house because she knows Chris and myself because of the school I work at. Then she says, "I'm just going door to door to see if I can count on your vote on Tuesday."
Now, it didn't occur to me to lie, but I didn't want to say whether or not I would be voting for her. I just think it's a personal thing and I don't like broadcasting my political beliefs because it is such a hot button issue for some people.
I paused for a second, shook her hand and said, "Yes, we will be voting on Tuesday."
I guess that wasn't what she was looking for because she turned and walked away. Chris and my neighbour laughed and my neighbour said, "I'm glad you said something, because I was about to say something rude!"
Chris afterwards said I was rude and should have lied.
What do you think?? Was I rude? Should I have lied?
i don't think you were rude, i think it's rude for someone to put you on the spot like that asking if you were going to vote for her.
ReplyDeleteNope, that wasn't rude. I agree with Jenelle. The lady putting you on the spot was rude. I think your answer was absolutely perfect!!
ReplyDeleteI agree with above!!
ReplyDeleteI'm sure they have heard worse...lol
You're answer was perfect! So very NOT rude!!! Well done. Glad I haven't been put on the spot like that...
ReplyDeleteI don't think it's rude, but I don't think she was really being rude either. At least in the states it is very common practice for such occurrences to happen. The difference is that you know her. That's what I suspect makes it awkward. When politicians have come to my door I have told them that I am voting for so and so because.... and it usually leads to a good conversation.
ReplyDeleteNo, I don't think it was rude. I would have said "I don't know yet", I think. It will be an interesting day on Tuesday.
ReplyDeleteI don't think it was rude. I know I wouldn't have thought of as good an answer like that. If anything she shouldn't be bothering someone who she knows like that. I don't understand why she is trying so hard with the tons of signs, decorated van etc. It seems like a waste of money when there are so many conservative voters in this area that they could run a dead cat and have it win...
ReplyDeleteNope, that wasn't rude. Good job. They have no right to corner you and ask those questions. its in bad taste. More people should say things like that.
ReplyDeleteNo, not rude. But then, neither was she. This is what politicians do whether they know you or not, and she's not the only one doing it. Interestingly enough, this is also what aspiring missionaries sometimes do...they give you their spiel and before asking if they can count on our support they directly ask what amount we would be willing to give monthly, 200, 100 or as the Lord leads? Hmmm...sometimes awkward. I still feel led to support them in some way - just things can get a bit awkward. Maybe it's me.
ReplyDelete