Pages

Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Cross that one off the bucket list

I finally finished my first quilt. Chelsea was still using her baby crib quilt to sleep and her feet kept sticking out the end. She told me she wanted a purple blanket, so I set about sewing her a quilt.

I called my aunt (who is pretty much a professional quilter), and my mom many times and even my neighbour helped me too.

What started as this...


turned into this.

And it stayed like that for a long time. I wasn't sure how to attach the quilt batting and how to finish the edges so I ignored it for a few months.

But I wanted to start a new sewing project so I knew I had to finish the quilt. I'm big on only having one project at a time. So, two afternoons of sewing later - voila! My first ever quilt!

Chelsea thought it was a pillow and was pretty disappointed that it wasn't as jumpy as a trampoline.


Hopefully soon she'll start to love it as a blanket, otherwise it might be up for grabs! Either way, I had a lot of fun making it and now I can cross it off my list of things that I always wanted to do.

7 comments :

  1. And it is adorable! Awesome job - I can't wait to see it in person!

    I love the pic of C standing on the quilt, looking at it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. it's soooo pretty! What a lucky little girl :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks awesome! Talia has a crib quilt that I made with my Grandma the summer I was 12. I should make another for this next baby. (Also, for some reason during the last couple of weeks, I cry everytime I see Talia tucked in under her quilt, so if these crazies continue after the baby is finally here I'll have to make Talia another one anyway, ha.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is fantastic!! I love the color and fabric choices. Good job, you are so talented... cakes, quilts... what next?! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It took awhile for Jolee to love her blanket as a blanket too once I finished it. But now she can't part with it!

    Beautiful quilt! You'll have to teach me! I can only make rag quilts because they are much easier.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Melanie - I was just looking today online about how to make a rag quilt. I think that'll be my next project. Maybe we can swap quilting experience!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice quilt, Amanda! You're beyond talented, girl! You mentioned a rag quilt, I got this in my inbox today, and thought of you. Not a rag quilt, but a pretty neat look to it, I think. http://tipnut.com/scrappy-quilt/

    ReplyDelete