Pages

Saturday, February 20, 2010

Bubye Geege.

So many things to blog about and I have just no time!

I guess the biggest news is that we gave Maggie to a new home this week.

Allow me to explain.

We love Maggie. She's awesome. But when we got her, we were told she was a poodle/shitzu. Great. Non-shedding, hypoallergenic. Good to go.

But as she grew older, it became apparent that she shed. As she got older, the shedding got worse. It wasn't that big of a deal, but it bothered me.

However, since Gavin was about 2 months, he's been congested and stuffed up. It's been horrible. I have also been really stuffed and we began to wonder if it was Maggie. Every day, I became more and more convinced that she was the source. I started suggesting to Chris that perhaps we needed to find Maggie a new home. He was heartbroken, but eventually agreed.


I listed her on PVO and Kijiji with a price attached. We didn't want to list her as free because we wanted serious inquiries and we wanted her to be wanted and well cared for. We weren't going to just ship her off to the first interested person. I also mentioned that we were looking for a new home for her on FB.

Here's where I think God stepped in. I love that He cares for all our needs. I read a lot of blogs and one of the blogs I read was Shelly's. She is a good friend of some friends of mine and although we had never met, we felt like we knew each other from the blogging world. Well, Shelly finally joined FB just a few days before I posted in my status that we were selling Maggie. Just a few days before this, Shelly and her husband had been talking about how much they wanted another small dog, but they didn't want to deal with a puppy and housetraining. Shelly casually joked in my status that she'd love Maggie but couldn't convince her husband to fork over the mulah. Since money wasn't really the issue, we started to chat.

It was so awesome. They have 3 kids. They have a small dog and a cat already. They love thier animals a lot, and this was evident in their animals' sleeping arrangements. ;) Our dog is a little spoiled and it sounded like she would fit in just fine. As hard as it was actually handing Mags over, we knew she would be well cared for and adored. We felt such peace about our decision.

Chelsea hugged Maggie tight and handed her over to her new family. She didn't ask about her again until this morning. "Where's Maggie at, Mommy?"

"Remember we gave Maggie to a new family?"

"Oh yeah."

That was it. Gavin has spent more time looking for her. This becomes evident when he's eating in his highchair. He throws fistfulls of food onto the floor and then bangs his hand against the side of his highchair, as if he is calling for her.

I miss her eating the food off my floor. I've had to sweep sooo much. Not fun!

My husband is already asking when we are getting a new dog, but I'm making him wait. I need to make sure that I really really want another dog, so that I don't feel burdened when I have to train another puppy.

Although we miss gee-gee, we know it is for the best. We are cleaning like crazy and ripping up carpet and praying that soon our kids will be able to breathe again. We are also praying that Maggie fits in and loves her new family.

I know to some of you this is silly because she is "just a dog" but she's been in our family for 3 years. You get pretty attached to those little furballs!

9 comments :

  1. Maggie is not "just a dog"! No dog ever is!

    I'll be following Shelly's blog, just to see the odd update on Maggie.

    I'm sure she was the source of the runny noses, so as hard as this was, it's likely for the best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a sad thing to lose a pet, either through death or giving them a new home. We had our other dog for 15 years and it was my husbands best friend since he was 8 years old. That was really hard. I hope that this is the solution to your stuffy noses! Have fun renovating!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree.. she is not 'just a dog'. We have had our dog for 2 1/2 years and if he were gone it would feel like a part of our family was missing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL!! I came here thinking I had commented on here! lol It must have been on your face book!

    #1

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a great post for Maggie! :) She and Rosie have really come alive yesterday and today....lots and lots playing! It has been a riot to watch them get to know each other!

    #2

    ReplyDelete
  6. They have also taken to eating at the same time side by side! Very sweet! One will start and then lickety split the other one comes and they just stand over the dish chomping away! Then they will each take a few and circle the island with the food and leave a litte trail of dog food for later!

    #3

    ReplyDelete
  7. One final F.Y.I
    The word verification for my last comment was "pantless"
    I promise I am wearing pants! HA!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That was comment
    #4
    This counts as
    #5

    Now I am off to eat more sugar cookies! heheheheee

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes very nice post about Maggie!
    I do know how feel about Dogs being part of the family...we had a little dog before Declan was born and we sold her cause we heard that dogs like her become jealous...I cried when the people came to pick her up cause at that time she was my little baby....lol
    Looking forward to finding out if you will indeed get another NON SHEDDING dog......hehehe
    I'm glad Chelsea isn't missing Maggie that much! That also makes it easier on you!

    ReplyDelete