Pages

Tuesday, February 23, 2010

The pee-pee palace

The carpet in our house has never impressed us. The house is only 3 years old, but the carpet always looked dingy and matted and dull. It was professionally cleaned when we moved in and then when we bought our new tv, we had to clean it again because we moved some furniture around. We've talked about taking it out, and now seemed like a good time.

Here's some progress pictures - mostly for Shelly who is begging for them. But since my sister did give me "permission" to blog them, I figured I should get on it!

The before shots.


Woah! Where did all the furniture go?? This is great.

Mom!! I found all our stuff!!
(sneak peek of the new table and chairs and the laminate that will be going in)
Here's when we started to get a little suspicious. The carpet is rolled up and the foam underlay is revealed. It is at this time when the overwhelming urine smell is also unveiled.

Shocked and horrified when the foam comes up.
Gross - gross - gross. At first I was like "MAGGIE!!!" but then when we were looking we realized it was all really old and huge stains. Since Maggs is only 7 pounds, it couldn't have been her. Also, alot of the stains were covered by our furniture, so they couldn't have possibly been Maggie. I should add that when we moved in, even after the professional cleaning, we could always smell pee in the stairwell going down into the basement. We soaked it one day with Norwex's odor eliminator and didn't smell it again. So although we were shocked last night, it did make sense to see all these stains.
So yeah. That was my last night. The cleaner guy is coming tomorrow morning to soak the wood with neutralizer. The wood can't be replaced because it is structural to the home. We could lay another sub floor overtop, but that would mean the livingroom would then be higher than the rest of the flooring and we don't really want that.

9 comments :

  1. AAAAGGGGHHHH...those stains are NASTY!!!! YUCK!!! I can imagine your relief to get that all cleaned up and out! Your dining room reminds me of ours when we had our flood last year! lol
    Great post! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh. Wow...!

    I'm speechless. That is FAR WORSE than I had imagined!

    FYI: I love the pictures of C. Any pictures of her make my day. I especially like her in the fifth picture: "Mom, if you're trying to take the picture without me, it's not going to work.... I'm still going to be in it."

    Again: FAR FAR FAR worse than I had imagined.

    And thanks for the link to my blog. I may get that position of Reader #4 filled now, thanks to you! (bwhahahaha!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. yikes!! that's a lot of pee!!! Hopefully the smell will be gone after the neutralizer... but just knowing it's there....

    ReplyDelete
  4. EWWW doesn't that make you feel like you definitely, absolutely made the right decision ripping it out finally????? yuck! Glad you're getting it taken care of tomrrow!

    On another (lovelier) note - YOUR TABLE & CHAIRS LOOK AMAZING!!! They look so good in your room (what I can see of it anyway!) I love it!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, so GROSS!!!! Did they ever take their dog outside?

    ReplyDelete
  6. O.M.G..... that is soooo gross! How can someone let their dog make that much of a mess???? Shouldn't you confine your dog to a non carpet area if it pees like that? YUCK.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yucky! And what's even funnier is I know who used to live in your house! Maybe I shouldn't say anything more...
    But it will be so great once everything is done! It will be so clean feeling and beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gross just really really Gross!!
    But thanks for sharing about the pee pee.........lol
    Now i feel much more confident in sharing the nose bleed story with that photo........lol
    hehehehehehe

    ReplyDelete