
Okay, we've severly run out of money this month. We had some unexpected costs, but man oh man, did we blow it. I actually had to dip into my savings to clear us out of a bind. The problem is that I'm "in charge" of finances and I've never really had to budget. My husband never, ever checks to see if there's money (or how much) or never even thinks about paying bills. He just assumes everything is always good.
We took quite the hit with me going on mat leave, but managed to survive. Now, I'm bringing in $0 on mat leave and need to start working again. I think I'm going to also need to get a parttime job waitressing. We just never seem to have enough money.
So my question to you - do you have a monthly budget? How do you keep track of your spending? Anyone have a nice little spreadsheet they'd like to share with me? I'm desperate, and something needs to change (besides our spending habits).
It is really just a learning curve. I too, am in charge of the budget in our house. I do the bill paying and making sure everything is in order. My hubby too, does not worry about the account and just assumes I am taking good care and there is money in there for his needs. So, it really is a process - I have learned to make sure the budget allows for him to do what he does so he never has to worry. We have been married for 10 1/2 years and occasionally there are months like the one you are experiencing. I have not worked for the last 9 years so it really is about adjusting your life style to your income. Not much help. Sorry.
ReplyDeleteI too manage the money of the house. Chris really doesnt spend money except on food and gas. I am lucky that way, and he does ask when he goes to buy something that isnt the ordinary because we have three bank accounts so he needs to know which debit card to use :) We have had a budget since day one. I guess that it helps when you start your marriage poor as the first year we had to make every dollar count it seemed. I am not always perfect in following it, and I have had to dip into savings a couple times to bail us out when things did not go as planned. However, all and all I find it helpful to know exactly where our money is going, and a great way to curve the want bug. Unlike Chris, I could spend money like I drink water. However, with a budget I know when my money is gone its gone...even if there is thousands of dollars in the account that could be my money. I have an excel sheet I made for ours..and I also have a more detailed sheet from the web, which if you were to go this route would probably be better for you since you have house costs and baby cost etc.
ReplyDeleteI am firm believer in adjusting your life to your income. Life is too short to work all the time, but thats just me. Let me know if you want any of the spreadsheets...sorry this is so long..
Cort
This is a sensitive subject for a lot of people.. When David and I first got married we did not spend our money very wisely. We got into a lot of credit card debit and had to start budgeting to get ourselves out of that debt. Ever since then we've been writing down every little thing we spend so that we both know exactly where our money goes.
ReplyDeleteI think it's really important that both people know what's happening with the money and decide together how the money is spent. This has helped David and I keep each other accountable for where are money goes.
Adjusting your life to your income is necessary. I have often asked myself, "What will I regret not doing in the later yrs of my life, working lots to buy stuff or spending time with family and friends?". It puts things in perspective for me when I want to indulge in things that I don't really have the money for..... like I said this is a sensitive subject.
"They" say that the two most difficult subjects in a marriage are sex and money... I think "they" are probably right.
David and I like to seat at the table to do our budgeting, so we keep track the old fashion way. Paper and pen, no spreadsheet. We need to get a laptop!
Oops...I meant sit at the table not seat at the table. Lol
ReplyDeleteI budget. Fortunately for me, there is no one else around to sabotage it. I do the paper and pen thing, too. I write down which bills get paid with which paycheque, and figure out roughly how many hours I'm working (and therefore how much money I'm bringing in) and go from there.
ReplyDeleteOf course, not having someone else to sabotage the budget doesn't mean that I don't. (That sounds confusing - I mean that I sabotage the budget (ie this paycheque) so I don't necessarily need someone else to do it for me.)
Here's my 'budget': have as many bills as possible on automatic withdrawal, pay as much as I can at the beginning of the month, and then run out of money somewhere between the 10th and the 15th and anxiously watch my bank balance to make sure I don't get an overdraft because I've forgotten about some cheques or something. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone!
ReplyDelete