I was thinking the other day about funny things that happened during my labour with Chelsea. I want to write them down to remember them, so this is more for me than for you, but you get to benefit. These are in no particular order.
- I was hungry and didn't want hospital food. Chris went to Dairy Queen. Because they are DQ in Winkler, they messed up our order, but this time, they gave us the wrong bag of food. We only discovered this at the hospital, so we ate it. There was probably enough food to feed a family of 4. Chris just watched in disbelief as I ate 2 double cheeseburgers, large fries, a hot dog and then finished off his burger. I think he was scared.
- When I got to the hospital, they insisted I change into a hospital gown. I HATE hospital gowns. As soon as I could, I changed into my labour "uniform" black shorts and a black t-shirt. I wore this for 2 and a half days before sending it home with my mom to wash and return asap. I seriously made her drive home and back as soon as they were dry. I was particularly attached to wearing these clothes, for some reason.
- Chris had downloaded the entire 3 seasons of Grey's Anatomy to watch while I was being induced. I played it on my laptop while Chris watched movies on his laptop. At one point in time, I had 3 nurses and a doctor watching Grey's with me. I asked if Boundary Trails had as much action going on as Seattle Grace. One nurse answered, "I wish!"
- My parents came out the Friday (I was admitted and began induction on Thursday). They made me walk... a lot. We walked many slow laps around the hospital parking lots. My stepdad kept saying I should run. I think at this point, I may have weighed twice as much as him. All I wanted to do was sit on him.
- Chris made me laugh hard at one point. Then he helped me up out of a chair. We thought I peed on the chair. Turned out, my water had broken.
- On day 3 or 4, I finally asked for the laughing gas. It didn't make me laugh. It just made me slow my breathing down. I'm pretty sure breathing into a pillow would have been just as effective. My husband however, used the laughing gas and started laughing. It made me mad. I think I yelled at him.
- When I finally asked for the epidural, I was bawling. You have to sit at the edge of the bed and kind up curl up so that your spine is sticking out. I was holding onto some nurse's arms as she was crouched in front of me and I looked at her through my tears and said, "This better be the best looking baby I've ever seen. I don't want to go through all this for an ugly baby." Sounds mean, I know. But I had been through a rough few days. Now I find it funny.
- When we got to the hospital, there was a woman labouring without drugs in the room across the hall. After hearing her, I decided drugs would be an okay option.
Okay, I think that's it.
Amanda, I love this entry so much! You are a brave woman for posting it and being so candid! (My fav is the epi, I had a similar experience!)
ReplyDeleteI had the same experience with the spinal when I had both of my emergency c-sections. And that one about the chair... oh my goodness! LOL
ReplyDeleteAfter having my first with an epidural, and my second 'naturally' (not by choice!)... I'd say ALWAYS TAKE THE DRUGS ;)
ReplyDeleteOne thing I remember about delivering Alex was getting so sick of everyone saying "You're almost there... ". I told Brad to shut up and yelled "Stop lying to me!!" About a minute after that, out he came :)
My favorites - having the doctors and nurses watching Grey's with you, and you wanting to sit on Jerry. lol.
ReplyDeleteAnd your child is cute. Even though I still think you should give her to me. lol