Let me start this next story by telling you that to ride Hades, you have to climb up a lot of stairs to load onto the coaster. It’s pretty high up off the ground. When we tried to ride Hades the second time, we had just gotten to the turnstiles, so we would be the next to load, and I kid you not, the rollercoaster comes speeding up over the last hill and stops. STOPS. Those of us waiting have been talking the whole time because it was about a 20 minute wait, and we all get quiet. The employees are using their mysterious walkie-talkies to call in more staff, but we can’t hear what they are saying.
Now there are 6 employees, wearing their festive Mt. Olympus Hawaiian shirts, talking in hush tones. They start to WALK UP THE TRACK. Let me remind you. This is a wooden rollercoaster. The employees start unloading passengers way up this hill track, WAY up in the sky, or so it feels. I’m dying. I can handle rollercoasters, the heights, the speed, going upside down, because I’m strapped in. But seriously, if that had been me, having to walk down the track of the rollercoaster, I’m pretty sure I would have had to bumscootch the whole way. There is NO WAY I’d be able to walk down. Nope. Na-da. No way.
So then, the helpful staff, finally, after we’ve watched the entire population of the rollercoaster get off and walk down the track, one of the staff members says, “We just need a couple minutes to fix up a few things. It’ll be back up and running in 20-30 minutes.”
Yeah, no thanks. Nope. I am NOT going to be the first person to test out whether or not the coaster is good to go, for fear of having to walk down that track. No way.
We walked back down the stairs and decided we were done with rollercoasters for the day and so we then went to the Upper slides, and the slides inside, and then we laid in the sun for a long time. It felt so good to relax, suntan and read. Oh, and I was introduced to my new favourite food. Funnel cakes. So amazing. This one was topped with ice cream and warm apple pie filling.
Wednesday, we did Mt. Olympus again. We did all three of the big slides on the main level and then we just laid around in the sun. They have an amazing wave pool, so we’d jump in that for a while, then go back and lay in the sun again. It was so great.
We had a quick supper at Carvelli's, a pizza and pasta place, and then went back to the main strip. Here, we wandered again, checking out more shops and things and Chris really wanted to check out a haunted house, so we did.
It was really, really lame. No surprise there!
We did decide to check out Wizard Quest. We were a little apprehensive, but it turned out to be the coolest thing we did while we were in the Dells. It's basically a video game put to real life. You are given a quest and you have to find clues and wizards and answer questions. It was unbelievable.
It was pretty physical too. You had to crawl through mazes and tunnels and find secret rooms and passwords. We had such a good time. After we were done this, it was after 11, so we headed back to our hotel.
I am not a roller coaster person at the best of times. I remember that when they had the dinky roller coaster at the GP fair when we were kids, I went one loop (or MAYBE two) before they let me off and continued the ride. I love waterslides. And the Wizard Quest sounds so cool!
ReplyDeleteHA chances are you wouldn't get me on that rollercoaster in the first place...but not even maybe after seeing that! I think I would be with you on the bumscootch...but i probably wouldn't have walked up the stairs in the first place. lol
ReplyDeleteThat horror story may be enough to keep me off rollercoasters permanetly! Funnel cakes are my fav too! Hope to get one before the summer is out!
ReplyDeleteThe wizard quest is something that I thought my 7 year old would have really liked. Did you see kids that age in there?
Wizard quest was definitely fit for the whole family. It could be as easy or as difficult as you wanted. Chris and I were probably a little out of place because we didn't have kids with us.
ReplyDeleteWOWZA..I LOVE roller coasters but that would have definitly scared me off them for awhile! lol
ReplyDeleteAnd Funnel Cake....well we go way back....;p
Oh that all sounds like so much fun!!
ReplyDeleteAnd those funnel cakes with the apple and whipped topping look wonderful!
That wizard thing sounds like a lot of fun to do also!
Wow sounds like you had the most wonderful time!
Glad the weather was so cooperative for you!
and THAT'S why I don't do rollercoasters :) Eek.
ReplyDelete