Pages

Saturday, July 24, 2010

Wisconsin

I'd like to blog about my trip, but I'm going to break it up into a few different chunks because I know there's no one out there who wants to read a big ol' day by day breakdown.


Sunday we were up and on the road by 7, I think. The drive was fantastic. It’s amazing how relaxing driving can be without 2 kids in the car. No Dora or Diego playing in the background, no requests for sippy cups or Chelsea yelling because Gavin is looking out her window – just driving. I took the first 5 hour stretch while Chris slept most of the way. I fell in love with how beautiful Wisconsin is. I did laugh a few times at the gas stations along the way. The farther we went, the stronger the accents got. But this came back to bite me in the butt, when some lady giggled when she was listening to Chris and I. “You MUST be from Canada. How’s the weather, eh?” Mocking me and my accent – why I almost feel like I’m back in Winkler, being mocked by my friends at home! :P

When we got to the Dells, we were a little apprehensive because our resort wasn’t showing up on GPS. Let me explain – we bought into a trial program of RCI Points a few years ago (Run the opposite way from this company, people!). We had to use our points up before August this year, or they would expire. So our travel agent guy kept recommending that we check out the Dells. We had points to go ANYWHERE, but hey, Wisconsin it was. We were put on a waiting list for a room, and when we got the call, we took it. We didn’t really care where we stayed, as long as it was a clean room. The problem was, we couldn’t find out much about it online or anything. So, when we couldn’t find it on the GPS. We were pleasantly surprised when we found it though. It was great and heck, *free* with our points.
It was a one bedroom, with a full kitchen, livingroom and little patio. It was great. I do need to point out here that we drove to the Dells in Chris’s tiny Golf. It cost us a whopping $45 in gas to drive almost 11 hours. I’m pretty sure Chris spent more than this on junk food on the way.

We quickly dropped off our bags and then headed to the action downtown. Chris was excited to eat at Famous Dave’s. Great atmosphere and yummy food. We had some nachos with brisket (I had to ask what this was) and sooooo good. Chris ordered a ½ rack of ribs and I kid you not, when the waitress brought out his food, he actually said in an excited voice “That’s a nice, big rack!!”.

I burst out laughing and apologized to the waitress who was laughing at my husband who was now 17 shades of red. We tipped her well, no worries.

After Famous Dave’s, we hit the Dells Comedy Club for the late night show. It was okay, but definitely not the highlight of the trip. More to come later!

8 comments :

  1. All right! I'm looking forward to each blog post.

    I burst out laughing at the "Gavin's looking out my window" because she totally did that to me one day. I told her that was fine, that she could look out his. I did not know that looking out the wrong window could cause a fight.

    What is brisket?

    The last picture of Chris really reminds me of Gavin - they've got the exact same shaped head.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun to take a trip just the 2 of you! Can't wait to hear more about it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is great. Can't wait to hear more!! And amanda you look beautiful in that first picture!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a great trip! I have to say you have the most Stereotypical (in the minds of Americans) Canadian accent of all the Canadians I know. :)

    Can't wait to hear more!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fun!!! Another reason for Chris to turn red. Love it :) Looking forward to reading more!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so glad your sharing your trip this way! Looking forward to the next installments!
    btw we never got to Famous Daves and now I"m really disapointed!

    ReplyDelete
  7. glad to hear stories. sounds like a fun trip. so jealous of time away with out kids :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh the trip already sounds like a lot fun.......lol
    Glad you guys has a great drive!

    ReplyDelete