I wrote about Eli's birth story here. I shared about how our cesarean unfolded and how my heart hurt about the experience. I've had three children and three cesareans. I did not want the surgeries, but at the same time, I was willing to do anything to ensure that my babies arrived safely.
A dear friend and I have often talked about how we are saddened that we both had cesareans rather than "normal" births. She understands without explanation the emotions and disappointments and guilt that I feel when I look back on the birth of my babies. Today she shared a blog post with me called Cesarean Courage.
"Because no matter what the culture is, it takes courage to give birth. A lot of
courage. The courage to give birth is in every woman, whether she knows it
before hand or not, and even if she thinks it isn't there, she finds it inside
of herself.
And all those mothers having cesareans? They
have courage. Courage that needs to be recognized."
"In that moment, it doesn't matter how that woman got to the operating table. It doesn't matter if the surgery is necessary or unnecessary, what matters is that it takes extraordinary courage to say:
"Cut me open.
I love my baby so much, that I will do anything to get my baby out of my body alive.
Lay me out, cut me open
because I love my baby so much."
.jpg)
(My beautiful midwife. She was a constant support throughout my pregnancy and delivery.)
"That is courage. That is bravery and sacrifice and mothering in its purest form.
That is the willingness to lay down your body and risk your life that your child
might be born, that your child might live."
"Cesarean
mothers are BRAVE."
Courage.
It is a new way of thinking about my cesarean. I still feel disappointed that I will never get to experience a birth as it was intended. Reading this blog post made me shed a few tears and helped me take another couple of steps on my journey toward acceptance.
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)
Great post and I LOVE Marla ~ I had her for our youngest two and went into Marla withdrawals after my last baby :-).
ReplyDeleteAwww, I LOVED that post! Marla is THE BEST and I love that she is there as a constant support even if she isn't delivering the baby herself. That's what sets midwives apart - they are there for YOU as well as the baby. So awesome. And yes, you are so brave! Cesareans are scary, no doubt, and I'm glad you found some encouragement through that blog you read :)
ReplyDeleteHmmm beautiful post. And those pictures are precious. So precious.
ReplyDelete