It's a good thing Gavin is so lovable, because man oh man, that boy is a piece of work! We've known that he has allergies since before he was one. At that time, we pulled out all the rug on the main floor and got rid of the dog that we had because she shed. We went even further and had him taken for allergy testing in Winnipeg but he came back clear for all of those skin poke tests.
But yet, he's always stuffed up, he had major ear problems which led to having tubes put in his ears and his adenoids taken out, he is a major mouth breather and most recently, he's started having itchy skin. He'll scratch his belly until it bleeds. Poor boy.
(A bit of a back story. In university, my allergies were out of control. I was taking at least 2 allergy pills every day and still suffering from symptoms. When Chris and I were told we couldn't get pregnant and that the waiting list to see the fertility specialists was 4-6 months, I went in desperation to a naturopathic doctor. She was fantastic and ordered blood testing for food sensitivities right away. The tests showed that I shouldn't be eating eggs. As soon as I stopped, ALL my symptoms disappeared. Oh and I was pregnant less than three months later.)
So, we had decided to take the plunge and have the food sensitivities test done on Gavin. The test results were a bit overwhelming. All those long black lines are the "do not eat" categories. No dairy, gluten, eggs, beef and wheat. Pretty sure all that leaves is fruit, veggies and sugar. ;)
Sadly, no. We've had a few bad nights with him complaining of a sore tummy and his rash. It feels like two steps forward and three back.
I just want my boy all healthy. We do have something pretty big up in January that we aren't ready to blog about just yet, but if you could all send up some prayers for healing for G and for more creativity in cooking for him, that would be great!
I find this very interesting, Amanda (hope you don't mind me commenting). I just find it strange that they don't have oats, barley or rye on the avoid list, yet Gluten is. Those 3 things contain gluten, so they should be avoided as well. Also, cross contamination is a HUGE thing when it comes to gluten. If you made a PB & J sandwich, spread it on wheat bread, then dip your knife back into the jar for more, the jar is contaminated with wheat. Things like cutting boards, plastic bowls, and strainers can also be bad for holding gluten, so consider replacing those. Toasters are another source of major cross contamination. :(
ReplyDeleteIf you google 'gluten free vegan recipes', you should be able to find quite a few. I hope that eating becomes a more enjoyable experience for your little guy. :(
Will pray for you all as you make adjustments :)
ReplyDeleteI feel for you.. it's so limiting! I took dairy out of my diet due to being lactose intolerant. I took gluten out of my diet because I had read of people with kidney disease going into remission off gluten. Sometimes it takes time.... In a month I noticed I was sleeping better and felt more rested. In three months I wasn't spilling as much protein and by one year I was in remission. Other people went into spontaneous remission.. that just wasn't in the cards for me. Of-course. I started treating myself to an occasional treat once in remission and started spilling again.
ReplyDeleteI'll pray for him! Hopefully he will grow out of most of his food allergies.