Pages

Monday, January 7, 2013

20 Random Facts

1. I am not an organized person. I wish I was, but alas I'm not. My pantry is always in chaos and my kitchen cupboards aren't organized either. It was one of those "if you can't fight 'em, join 'em" situations. My husband is VERY disorganized and somehow letting a few things go has lessened my nagging.

2. When I get old and eccentric, I'm going to collect things. I'll probably start with salt and pepper shakers. Or fun mugs. Sometimes now I'm super tempted to pick up a set that are really cute, but then I know it's going to be a runaway train - kinda like the owls I already have.

3. The first job I ever had was as a waitress in our small town restaurant called, "The Family Diner." I loved this job and how flexible they were. I worked here for 4 years.

4. We have a picture of Jesus on our fridge. What? You don't?

5. I had permed bangs in grade 7. Long long straight hair in the back. Permed bangs. I know I've shared this before but it's so good I just had to say it again.

6. I seriously feel like I have the worst memory ever. I try to remember things from my childhood and high school and I draw blanks. Did I babysit? What did I do for my birthday parties? Did we really just eat our lunch sitting on the dirty floor?

7. I went for a haircut when I was 17 and the hair stylist convinced me to wax my eyebrows. Pretty sure that was the best decision - of my life. ;) Don't believe me? Take a look!
(I wish I could say that picture was photoshopped, but nope.)

8. Pretty sure this haircut was not the best decision of my life.

9. I am pro-breastfeeding for our family. When I think about formula feeding and bottles, I get overwhelmed. I'm thankful that I can breastfeed and that my husband is also a huge supporter. Although I would love to be done nursing so that I can get this weight off, I am treasuring these special bonding times as I know that the next few months will fly by and soon I'll be done nursing.

10. I hate pumping my own gas and emptying garbage cans. I do everything I can to avoid these tasks. Yup. I'm a bit of a princess and I'm okay with that.

11. I've mentioned before that I only wear one contact lens. Since having Eli, I actually forget to put it in most days. My eyes are that good. Here's hoping that it sticks once I'm done breastfeeding.

12. I fall asleep reading every night.

13. I love being a mom. I remember in Grade 7, I was having a super sad moment because I didn't have many friends that week (oh junior high girls) (probably because I had permed bangs), and I remember thinking that someday I would have kids and life would be so good. And it is.

14. I used to love performing. I even took some drama courses at the U of M. I miss that rush of being on stage. Side note: I also miss going to the theatre. I really should go more.

15. I was lactose intolerant when I was 16 and 17. Thankfully, I grew out of it.

16. Apparently I like my life to be just a little more complicated than it should be. All four of us (with hair) use a different hair stylist. Chris goes to a place close to work, I go to a friend, Chelsea has been going to someone who always braids and puts beads in her hair, and recently instead of shaving G's head ourselves, I'm taking him to a hairdresser with little boys so maybe she can work her magic on his crazy hair. We all have haircuts this week so it's a lot more complicated than it should be.

17. I had mono when I was 17. I had it bad. I actually fell asleep at a basketball game that I was playing in! They called my name for starting line up and I was sleeping on the bench. Oops.

18. I'm afraid that I'll always crave Diet Coke. It's so so bad for me, but I just want it all the time. I didn't have any for almost two years, but gave in once while pregnant with Eli and ever since then the craving is back.

19. My favourite meal growing up was barbecued hamburgers, mashed potatoes and peas. Now it is a steak stirfry dish that I make with lots of green veggies in it - snap peas, zucchini, broccoli, and spinach.

20. I hate drinking from a glass. I always want a straw.

7 comments :

  1. In grade five I had all of my hair permed EXCEPT my bangs!!! What were we thinking?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved reading this! I had mono when I was 17 too, and it was SO bad!! I was lying on my couch at home (missing my sr 4 classes, right before exams) and my Grandma came to the door to bring me soup (or some kind of comfort food) and I literally couldn't tell my body to get up and answer the door. I knew she was there, and I just couldn't get up... crazy.

    We don't have a picture of Jesus on our fridge, but I've been looking for a nice print to frame and have in our dining room, or someplace in our home... I think the painting by Akiana Kramarik will be the one, just need to find a print.

    ps: when's your birthday? I have some owl salt & pepper shakers with your name on them!! (*kidding*)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Holly the Jesus print we have is the one by Akiana. I love it but it really needs to find a better home than our fridge.

      June 17 ;)

      Delete
  3. Love this! I had mono when I was 18 and my first year of college. I was so tired I was in bed at 4pm during the worst of it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. #20, yup that's me too. Always need a straw!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this. You're an awesome writer Amanda!

    ReplyDelete
  6. 1. My pantry was disorganized until this last week, when I was almost killed by falling olive oil. Twice.

    2. When you "get" eccentric? That ship has sailed, friendo. ;)

    3. One of the first times I took Raine to GP we went to the Family Diner. When his plate came with 5lbs of fries on it, he was like "let's move here."

    4. I'm sure we will, my Mom has only been here a few months and my kids already regularly wear rosaries.

    5. I had the "Liz" from Degrassi. I'm not going to judge your permed bangs.

    6. I can't help you with the first 2, but I can confirm that we did, indeed, eat lunch on the dirty floor.

    7. Did you go for that haircut in someone's basement?

    8. I had that same haircut. LOL

    9. Go boobs! My kids feed their dolls by hiking up their shirts. Ruby got a baby for Christmas that came with a bottle and they were all like "what is this??"

    10. Samers

    11. Nice! Maybe I should have a few more babies and ditch my glasses.

    12. So send me something to read.

    13. It's true. Love my monsters, too.

    14. I had no idea. I went to an audition at The Black Hole to keep my friend company once. I got a call back and I was all "WHAT?!?" and didn't go. Ha.

    15. Mmmmmmm, cheese.

    16. That's a lot of haircuts. I'm surprised Winkler has that many stylists. ZING.

    17. My mom thought I had mono when I was in highschool but as it turns out, I was just lazy. Also, OOOOOOOOOO! THE KISSING DISEASE!!! Who were you smooching?

    18. I used to have a big Diet Coke problem. Now I'd happily settle for a glass of milk.

    19. Both of those sound delish.

    20. I've got nothing to say about that.

    Nice job on your list, I couldn't stop myself from commenting on each one. Maybe I should funnel some of that energy into my own blog.

    ReplyDelete