Pages

Sunday, August 24, 2008

The making of fondant babies...

No, this post does not involve talk of the birds and the bees, or storks, for that matter. It's about CAKE!

This week I had a special cake order. I was asked to make figures out of fondant to place in a swimming pool cake. I was very excited to do this, as I really wanted to try figure molding. It was thrilling to watch my little babies take shape!

Here are some heads on toothpicks. I was so thrilled with how they were looking. I wish I had taken more pictures along the way.
Of course, they needed hair. The mom who ordered the cake kindly sent me some photos of the children, so I tried to match it as close as a cartoon can get! (Notice the abandoned head in the background? He/she didn't make the cut.)

After more carving and shaping and molding, my fondant babies are done! I made their swim suits and toys according to the pictures and for my first attempt at fondant figures, I couldn't be happier!

You'll have to head over to http://amandascreativecakes.blogspot.com to see the final product!

2 comments :