Pages

Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Cleaning that changed my life

Okay, so this is not me trying to sell you anything, but rather me just raving about my newest "addiction", if I can call it that.

Something you may not know about me is that I'm all about naturopathic medicine and herbs and all things natural. I hate having to go to the doctor. When my husband and I were told a few years ago that we wouldn't be able to conceive, I went crying to a naturopathic doctor and she laughed and said she'd have us pregnant in 3 months, and she did! In addition, she helped me discover that my allergies that kept getting more and more intense were caused by eating eggs. As soon as I stopped eating eggs, my allergies have pretty much disappeared, but yet, eggs would never show up on an allergy test - weird, I know. This experience, combined with my allergies, caused me to look for more natural ways of doing a lot of things.

Anyways, back to the original topic of this post. All things natural. For years, I've had to use special laundry detergent after a crazy bout of hives in university. I don't use soap with fillers or scents, and I don't and won't ever use fabric softeners or dryer sheets. This was hard to get adjusted to in the beginning, but now I love the simple smell of clean clothes with no scent. I started using the Norwex laundry detergent and the dryer balls years ago. I love how there is no scents or irritants. LOVE.

However, a couple years ago, with having a young baby and small dog, I started looking for alternatives to the chemical cleaners that I was using. I hated that I had 5 or 6 bottles under my sink to use for cleaning. Well, Norwex to the rescue again. Now, I have no chemicals under my sink (except for toilet cleaner - only because I haven't tried the Norwex one yet.) All I use now are the envirocloth, window cloth and a little cleaning paste to shine my taps. That's it. I love it.

After using these cloths for a couple years now, my favorite part about Norwex isn't even that it's all natural and safe without those chemicals - it's how quick it is to clean. I used to HATE cleaning the tub. I had finally decided that Tilex worked the best so I would stand in the shower, spray the walls and tub, let it soak, come back and scrub with a brush, rinse, wipe with water, then wipe dry, all while having to take a few breathing breaks because the chemicals smelled so strong. It was very time consuming.

Now, I go in, wet my cloth, wipe for 2-3 minutes and I'm done and it's sparkling. So easy and quick.

I love that I can give Chels a cloth and she can copy my cleaning without worrying about her ingesting chemicals. I can wash the floor and let her and Maggie play on it right away with no worries. I love it.

I know that it's hard sometimes to let go of our favorite brands or what we've always used - at least that's how I am. I also know it's hard to believe that just a cloth and water can actually clean and disinfect our house. But this is one change that I will not regret. I love doing things without chemicals.

So that's my thoughts on cleaning. Don't worry. I'm not trying to sell you Norwex, and I'm not even having a party. It's your choice if you want to switch over, (I do happen to know a certain someone who does sell it) I just wanted to write out a few things I do to keep my house cleaner and safer!

3 comments :

  1. What cloth do you use for your tub? Just a regular antibac cloth?

    ReplyDelete
  2. What laundry soap do you use? I have tried a lot of "natural" ones because I have sensitive skin, but when you read the label I have only found one in the grocery store (COSTCO actually) that really has no chemicals but I am not loving how it works.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amanda I would love it if you would message me on Facebook and give me more detail on your algery symptoms related to the egg thing. The reason I ask is because our 10 year old son was allergic to eggs for which he was treated with homeopathics. But, he does have other symptoms ... eczema, etc that I am wondering could still be traced back to an alergy. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete