Pages

Thursday, March 6, 2008

Moment of Impact

You know you are a mom if these words have ever come out of your mouth...
- "What's the big deal? It's only a pee diaper!"
- "Okay, let's read that book for the 14th time - today."
- "Don't put your foot in the poop!"
- "Stop eating the dogfood, please!"
- "Get out of the dog kennel!"
- "Don't drink the toilet water!"
- "No, I don't want the cheerio from your mouth, but thank you for sharing."

:)

I'm feeling very introspective today... I think that's the right word. I've been thinking a lot about people who impact you and how we impact others. As a teacher, I've always been aware of the impact that I could possibly have on my students. I remember my grade 6 teacher vividly and I know that my many of my students will forever remember me. I'm constantly thinking of how I impact my students and I pray that my impact is a positive one.

But I've also been thinking about those people who have impacted me - both positive and negative - and how that has changed me. I've had some crappy things happen to me and sometimes I still struggle with how to deal with those people. I feel like I've forgiven them, but sometimes, I just want to confront them too and say, "do you know that what you did really hurt me?" But then I wonder if that would make me feel any better? Would it give me peace? Right now, I believe that sometimes it's best to just leave things be. And so I have... but I still wonder sometimes.

On the other side of the spectrum, I have had some awesome things happen in my life. I have had and still do have amazing friends who have left an impression on me and/or changed me in some way. Some of my friends have just been incredible and I like telling them how awesome they are or were to me at a certain time. There's just something about telling someone how good they are that is so freeing. I like complimenting people.

I have said before that I truly believe that words have power. You can convince yourself of many things simply through your words. You can have a good day or a bad day, based on how you speak to yourself and others. I like speaking positively and people like hearing it. I hope that my words will have a positive impact on you someday.

3 comments :

  1. i love reading your blog...you sure have made a really huge impact on my life..and i appreciate you for that!!
    Jenelle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thats a great post. I think that when it comes to confronting people that hurt you it really depends onthe situation and if they know they hurt you. I once had a very hard conversation with my mom (that my grandma started) about what it was like growing up with a step-dad and all that, and I regretted the conversation for a long time, because it was clear my mom was hurt by it, and what good was it to bring up things from so long ago. BUT now, I feel like my mom and I have become a lot closer because of my honesty. And sometimes people don't even know they hurt you, or at least the extent of which they have...so its a hard call. I often feel like I should contact my biological dad not to confront him, but to tell him I forgive him. I never do though, because what if he doesnt think he needs to be forgiven?

    Anyways, great post, and its true about the power of words

    ReplyDelete
  3. Preach it sister!! I totally agree that your words create your world. It's totally biblical!
    Thanks for introducing me to blogging. Reading this blog makes me realize we've got a lot in common...I definitely realized that I should really start telling my friends and family how much I appreciate them. I don't do that enough.
    Starting with you, thanks for the afternoon coffee's we've gotten to have. It's such a blessing to me to come to your place and hang out with another adult during the day. We seem to be in the same stage with our little ones and it's nice to feel like I'm not the only one! You are such a nice person!! Thanks for your friendship!!!!
    Have a good one!
    Shirlee

    ReplyDelete